Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MazeWizzard
Visitor

DIM vs CreateObject

Hi all. Nice forum. Thanks for all the great posting.

I've been playing around with brightScript and have, what I hope is, a minor question. When I create an "object" in bScript, I can create simple instance variables and methods without issue. However, the multi-dimensional arrays are causing issues. Example of what I would like to do:

Function newSomeObject() AS object

this = {}

this.Init()
return this

this.init = function()

DIM m.theData[8, 5]

m.fe = 0
m.fi = 0
m.theData[1,2] = 42
end function

this.andThatFunction = function(foo as integer)
end function
end function

I obviously can't DIM the data array like this (syntax error). Of course, it works fine at function/global scope without the "m.". So how do I create an instance variable (multi-dim array) for an object? The manual didn't explain that part very well. If I use createObject(), I need to create an array of arrays? What's the syntax for that?

Then I can have

obj1 = newSomeObject()
obj2 = newSomeObject()

obj1.theData[1,2] = 3
obj2.theData[4,5] = 6

All this works fine except for the DIM line. Does this make sense or am I way off (new to BScript)????

Thanks in advance for the help!

EDIT: P.S. I can probably use createObject and create a single dimension array and multiply the indices out properly, but I would like to use the multi-dim syntax if possible.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: DIM vs CreateObject

You can't use DIM directly with the m. object. You'll need to DIM the array, then set it to a variable in the m. object...

Dim data[8, 5]
m.theData = data
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
MazeWizzard
Visitor

Re: DIM vs CreateObject

Cool. You sleep don't you? (or are you an AI bot? WATSON meets TheEndless....lol). That's a fast response.

I guess the DIM creates the object, but it would go "out of scope" and have a ref count of zero, but the m.theData = data gives it a reference count of 1 and it stays... and I now have an instance reference to it. Makes sense. OK.

Thanks!
0 Kudos