Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voldemort
Visitor

Re: Current stats on models in use?

Can we see numbers of streamers rather than percentage of streamers?
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
Was your data filtered per unique installs - ...

I filtered on "New Users" but I don't know how accurate that is.

Aha!
That explains some things. So they are unique users indeed but it counts only the new users to the channel. Which hmm, is interesting but not a good representation for the players in use as a whole. There will be higher % of new player owners that become new channel users (only a few of long-time owners will be discovering that channel now - eager-beavers have already found it and the non-curious ones remain non-curious). So in that light TheEndless numbers highlight where the user base is heading (more 4xxx and 5xxx models) vs mine more status quo.
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

Had a request for some stats from our launch, so here goes:

4200x ... 39.3%
3500x ... 14.1%
3100x ... 9.6%
3050x ... 8.7%
2720x ... 8.6%
2710x ... 7.6%
2500x ... 5.4%
5000x ... 2.1%
2400x ... 1.8%
3000x ... 0.9%
3400x ... 0.7%
2450x ... 0.7%
2700x ... 0.4%
3420x ... 0.1%

We do request 6.1 of the firmware to install, which could affect these numbers some

Also, in case it helps, video modes stats:

1080p ... 48.2%
720p ... 43.7%
480i ... 8.1%

A bit of additional info, these are all new users as the channel launched less than a week ago, and these counts are individual boxes, not installs (multiple boxes per account) or IPs (multiple boxes per household or multiple IPs per box via proxy/spoofing).
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Thank you, very interesting. It looks like a very detailed breakdown of all the non-classic models.

I see "everything" except 4210 and 4230 (newest Roku 2 and 3), which surprises me a bit that they're not at least some tiny percentage. Is it possible they are somehow getting lumped into the 4200s?
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
I see "everything" except 4210 and 4230 (newest Roku 2 and 3), which surprises me a bit that they're not at least some tiny percentage. Is it possible they are somehow getting lumped into the 4200s?

Might be, as I haven't received a hit on any of those, when my channel loads I get a tracking packet of FlixRaider details such as load time and version, and roku details like screen, model, firmware, and timezone straight from the various rodevice and roapp functions. Since I am listing this from thousands of installs, and I haven't seen those model numbers, it just might be that they're bundled up by the Roku functions.

The only ones I didn't list were the 4500sk and 4400x since the counts, although they do have values, are so small they listed as 0.0%

EDIT: Am amending my answer here, TheEndless's post listed a percentage on the 4210x, so maybe they do identify themselves and I simply haven't seen them yet.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
I see "everything" except 4210 and 4230 (newest Roku 2 and 3), which surprises me a bit that they're not at least some tiny percentage.

Maybe 4210 and 4230 are reported as "4200" by the method @sjb64 uses. As a reminder, we have the precedent of all RokuTV, where roDeviceInfo.getModel() returns a generic "5000X". And maybe @TheEndless uses roDeviceInfo.getModelDetails().ModelNumber to see the real model#.
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

Didn't know those gave 2 different answers. I would think that two calls that both return the model number would return the same number...
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Somebody with 4210 or 4230 - what do you get on roDeviceInfo.getModel() ?
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:
Maybe 4210 and 4230 are reported as "4200" by the method @sjb64 uses. As a reminder, we have the precedent of all RokuTV, where roDeviceInfo.getModel() returns a generic "5000X". And maybe @TheEndless uses roDeviceInfo.getModelDetails().ModelNumber to see the real model#.

Correct.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuKC" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

Correct.

To be clear, my model numbers came from roDeviceInfo.GetModel(). If it no longer reports 4210 or 4230, it was changed at some point recently.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos