Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Code Performance and Video Error

I'm building a channel from the SampleVideoPlayer.  I've run into two issues that have me stumped.

Issue 1:
A friend gave me permission to use some of his videos on my channel.  His videos are currently stored on YouTube.  I downloaded them using a free online service[/url:1ndoabhj] that seemed to work since I can play the videos locally.  However...

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Code Performance and Video Error

Some follow up....

I was able to resolve issue one.  I ran the video through Nero Recode and it produce an mp4 file that I was able to play through the Roku stick.  Now, my only problem is issue two, the performance is pretty poor when clicking on the screen.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Are your images sized properly? I'm not familiar with what screen types the SampleVideoPlayer code uses, but I know it can really slow things down if the Roku has to resize images.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

renojim...Thanks for your reply.

Thanks a good question.  I wasn't aware that there are restrictions on the size of the images in that context.  I'll have to look into it, but, I'm not sure that wold explain what I am seeing.  I've included some screenshots to try and explain it.

Getting to the first screen is fine.  There's no performance hiccup.

But, once I mouse to move right to "Club", there's a noticeable delay in filling in the images below the arrow ("V") that represent each video.  And, mousing right to left, left to right on each poster image also shows a noticeable delay.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

renojim,

Thanks for the tip.  The image sizes were not what they needed to be (eg. 224 x 168).  This was the cause of the slow performance.  Once I resized them, I now see a much faster response to the remote clicks.
0 Kudos