Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbenditt
Binge Watcher

Closed Caption Configuration Window Color

Does anyone know how to change the background color of the closed caption configuration window?

My springboard uses a dark theme, so I changed my unselected button text colors to be a light gray. This looks pretty nice, but when the closed caption window opens, its background is light gray and it makes it hard to read the buttons that are also colored the same as in my main springboard window.

I suppose I could change the button text color to something that works for both background colors, but I really hate to do that because it looks pretty good on the main springboard. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Closed Caption Configuration Window Color

What do you have the "ThemeType" set to in your roAppManager theme? "generic-dark" should make all dialogs a dark gray instead of light gray, though I'm not positive if the CC dialog adheres to that.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
rbenditt
Binge Watcher

The ThemeType is set to "generic-dark". But it appears that the closed caption window background does not adhere to that, although its buttons do. The result is that the button colors do not work well on the background. Roku has rejected my channel submission on this issue.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"rbenditt" wrote:
The ThemeType is set to "generic-dark". But it appears that the closed caption window background does not adhere to that, although its buttons do. The result is that the button colors do not work well on the background. Roku has rejected my channel submission on this issue.

Sounds about right. The only option you have, then, would be to change the button colors so they look good on both light and dark dialogs. There's no other way to theme that dialog.

It definitely sounds like a bug that Roku needs to address...
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
rbenditt
Binge Watcher

I just removed the line of code where I set the ThemeType to "generic-dark" and I manually set the background color to a dark gray. The result is that my springboard looks nearly the same as it did before, but with slightly darker but still readable unselected buttons. The closed caption window now has the standard look, so it works.

Seems like if you select "generic-dark" as a ThemeType, you can never get a channel approved because there is no way to make the colors work correctly on the closed caption screen - at least not that that I'm aware of. This sort of renders the "generic-dark" theme as useless, unless you're only doing private channels and don't care about getting a channel approved.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"rbenditt" wrote:
Seems like if you select "generic-dark" as a ThemeType, you can never get a channel approved because there is no way to make the colors work correctly on the closed caption screen - at least not that that I'm aware of. This sort of renders the "generic-dark" theme as useless, unless you're only doing private channels and don't care about getting a channel approved.

Lots of channels use generic-dark and pass certification. Did you try ButtonNormalColor and ButtonHighlightColor?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuChris" wrote:
"rbenditt" wrote:

Lots of channels use generic-dark and pass certification. Did you try ButtonNormalColor and ButtonHighlightColor?

It sounds to me like he themed the button colors to fit his channel with "generic-dark", but since the CC dialog doesn't respect the "generic-dark" background and instead uses the light background, the themed colors don't look good. Changing the button color theme for the entire channel just so it looks ok on the CC dialog seems a bit extreme.

OP, what you could do is update the button theme colors immediately before showing your roVideoScreen, then change them back when returning from it. That way you'd only need to adjust your theming for that particular screen. Not ideal, but maybe more bearable than re-theming your entire channel.

It still sounds like a bug that Roku should fix to me. Since that dialog is managed by the firmware, it should either respect the channel's theme settings, or use it's own to avoid issues like this.

EDIT: Actually.. scratch all of that. I just tested in a channel of mine that uses "generic-dark" and the CC dialog does use the dark background and the themed button colors. Sounds like something else might be going on here...
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"TheEndless" wrote:
"RokuChris" wrote:
"rbenditt" wrote:

It sounds to me like he themed the button colors to fit his channel with "generic-dark", but since the CC dialog doesn't respect the "generic-dark" background and instead uses the light background, the themed colors don't look good. Changing the button color theme for the entire channel just so it looks ok on the CC dialog seems a bit extreme.

OP, what you could do is update the button theme colors immediately before showing your roVideoScreen, then change them back when returning from it. That way you'd only need to adjust your theming for that particular screen. Not ideal, but maybe more bearable than re-theming your entire channel.

It still sounds like a bug that Roku should fix to me. Since that dialog is managed by the firmware, it should either respect the channel's theme settings, or use it's own to avoid issues like this.

But the CC dialog does respect the generic-dark background color in my testing. If either of you found a case where it doesn't, please share the details. And my memory is that the theme attributes for springboard buttons are different than the ones for the CC dialog buttons, so there shouldn't be a need to switch back and forth like that.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuChris" wrote:
But the CC dialog does respect the generic-dark background color in my testing. If either of you found a case where it doesn't, please share the details. And my memory is that the theme attributes for springboard buttons are different than the ones for the CC dialog buttons, so there shouldn't be a need to switch back and forth like that.

Yup.. see my edit above. Works for me too. I didn't test it prior to posting.. :oops:
0 Kudos
rbenditt
Binge Watcher

Sorry for the noise, guys, and thanks for looking into it for me. I don't know what is going on in my case. When I use the generic-dark theme, the CC window doesn't look good for some reason. I've worked around it by not using generic-dark and I've come to peace with the results that I'm seeing - especially after setting the background color manually to something that is a bit darker than standard.

If you guys are not seeing what I'm seeing with the CC window, then I have to concede that it must have been something else at play. Thanks for checking!

Ron
0 Kudos