Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Channel Development Question

Kinda new to the development part of Roku. Was wondering if the following is possible. First let me state the channel I propose to create is for personal use only and would not be available in any way to the public. Trying to make something easier on the family. We use the Roku along with Playon. It seems that I could develop a channel to access shows that are only available on Playon. Hassle to get the kids to understand to watch a particular show they first have to go to Playon, then a channel, then find the show. Could I not locate the http stream associated in the Playon script and incorporate it into a channel for Roku directly. I was looking at the site called instantrokuchannel where basically you fill in the blanks download the package, then create a channel under roku developer account (which I have). I have downloaded the sdk info, read most of it, toyed with creating a channel and uploaded one that played thru a media server. Too much going on, want to eliminate the media server and pc, go directly to Roku. Have what I suggest possible?
Thanks
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Channel Development Question

Basically, the whole point of that program and others like it is to give access to content that you can only access on your PC - it converts the content into something usable and streams that to the Roku Player. It is essentially playing the content on the PC on a virtual screen, and copying the image from that screen into files in a streamable format, and your Roku is reading those files from your PC, so the answer is probably No, although it isn't out of the realm of possibility that the creators of that program could modify it to allow you to control it remotely via an API. You would have to talk to them about it, and for various historical reasons, we don't allow discussion on these forums of that particular program. They have other products that are available on Roku that you can discuss however.

- Joel
0 Kudos