Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsdf1520
Reel Rookie

Cannot "link a device" when creating a new channel

Jump to solution

I am creating a new channel in my account.

I go to "Manage my channels" > "Package Upload" to attempt to upload code.

I see "You need to link one or more devices to your account before uploading a package. Please link a device and resubmit." (which is odd because I already have a device that is in Developer Model linked to this account).

I tap on the link. A new browser tab takes me to https://my.roku.com/link, which then immediately redirects me to https://my.roku.com/500, every time.

Therefore, I cannot upload code, and cannot proceed.

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

Re: Cannot "link a device" when creating a new channel

Jump to solution

PROBLEM = NO Roku Device connected!

Meaning = You have channels but never connected a device or you setup your original device w another email and password that was not your developer account email and password or had a device that was deactivated!

Solution = Get a another used or new cheap stick or box device or Roku TV and connect it!
If you already have a Roku device: Go to settings and You have to reset the device (You may have to reset it back to a factory stardard) and log back in with your username and password that you use for your developer account! When you do this that removes the error and connects the dervice and you can proceed to the next step to upload packages!

WHY = If you want to update your channels to SDK you must have a connected device to your account! So Roku know you can place it in developer mode and View and test your channels before getting them packaged and digitally signed and prepaired for enqyption of packages!

When you first set up a new Roku, you enter an email address and you receive an email with a link to add this device to your Roku user account

Roku doesn't give a link code during setup any longer. They now ask you to enter your Roku Developer user account email address, and they send you a link to activate the new device or connect the current device to the developer account. There are no more link codes. 

To activate your Roku ® streaming player or Roku TV™ when you first use it, you must link it to a Roku account or an developer account. An activation link will be sent to the email address.

Tghe most common issue is where we set up devices with a dufferent email address than the one we use for developer accountts!

If you are creating a new Roku account, you may be required to add a payment method to set up Roku Pay. Your card will not be billed unless a purchase is made.
Complete all on-screen prompts until activation is complete.

You must complete all steps on the website before returning to your Roku device. Once all steps have been completed on the website, you will see "Setup complete!" and your device will automatically start installing all necessary items. Any streaming channels you selected during the process will be downloaded and installed, and after a few moments your Roku device will be ready to use. You may remove or update channels at any time after the activation process has been completed.
OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

Re: Cannot "link a device" when creating a new channel

Jump to solution

PROBLEM = NO Roku Device connected!

Meaning = You have channels but never connected a device or you setup your original device w another email and password that was not your developer account email and password or had a device that was deactivated!

Solution = Get a another used or new cheap stick or box device or Roku TV and connect it!
If you already have a Roku device: Go to settings and You have to reset the device (You may have to reset it back to a factory stardard) and log back in with your username and password that you use for your developer account! When you do this that removes the error and connects the dervice and you can proceed to the next step to upload packages!

WHY = If you want to update your channels to SDK you must have a connected device to your account! So Roku know you can place it in developer mode and View and test your channels before getting them packaged and digitally signed and prepaired for enqyption of packages!

When you first set up a new Roku, you enter an email address and you receive an email with a link to add this device to your Roku user account

Roku doesn't give a link code during setup any longer. They now ask you to enter your Roku Developer user account email address, and they send you a link to activate the new device or connect the current device to the developer account. There are no more link codes. 

To activate your Roku ® streaming player or Roku TV™ when you first use it, you must link it to a Roku account or an developer account. An activation link will be sent to the email address.

Tghe most common issue is where we set up devices with a dufferent email address than the one we use for developer accountts!

If you are creating a new Roku account, you may be required to add a payment method to set up Roku Pay. Your card will not be billed unless a purchase is made.
Complete all on-screen prompts until activation is complete.

You must complete all steps on the website before returning to your Roku device. Once all steps have been completed on the website, you will see "Setup complete!" and your device will automatically start installing all necessary items. Any streaming channels you selected during the process will be downloaded and installed, and after a few moments your Roku device will be ready to use. You may remove or update channels at any time after the activation process has been completed.
OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.