Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we RollBack a published channel to its previous version

I published my App on roku for some reason i want to switch to older version of my App.So i their is any other way so that my customers will be able to see older version of my App rather than new one.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Can we RollBack a published channel to its previous vers

You can re-publish the old package over the current one. If it's a private channel, it should update automatically. If it's a public channel, then it'll need to go through the approval process.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
You can re-publish the old package over the current one. If it's a private channel, it should update automatically.

Don't you have to "bump" the app version in the portal to cause a push?

Also i am unclear on this - what happens when versions in bundle manifest and web portal do not match?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
You can re-publish the old package over the current one. If it's a private channel, it should update automatically.

Don't you have to "bump" the app version in the portal to cause a push?

Also i am unclear on this - what happens when versions in bundle manifest and web portal do not match?

You can't go lower on the channel version, but you don't need to increase it. In my experience, the version you set in the web portal has no effect on whether the new package gets pushed out or not. I'm pretty sure it's based solely on the MD5 hash. If the hash differs at all from the version currently on the box, you get the update. As for the different version numbers, the one set in the web portal is the one that shows up in the channel store details. The version in the manifest is what shows up when you query the app versions on the box.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
You can't go lower on the channel version, but you don't need to increase it. In my experience, the version you set in the web portal has no effect on whether the new package gets pushed out or not. I'm pretty sure it's based solely on the MD5 hash. If the hash differs at all from the version currently on the box, you get the update.

Great to know, thanks - and one less hurdle of a thing.

As for the different version numbers, the one set in the web portal is the one that shows up in the channel store details. The version in the manifest is what shows up when you query the app versions on the box.

Yeah, that. I feel uncomfortable when there are >1 sources of the same information because in my experience and under Murphy's Law (if something can go wrong - it will) those two will run out of sync. For example, today's version of Hulu+/- is:
  • 3.10.8 per ECP/query/apps on my 2XS

• 3.8 per channel info on the same player

• 3.10.8 per channel info in the "Roku" app

There are some other flags that are doubled, like say if a channel is a screensaver - i ran in puzzling issue with one such.
(Btw, does someone know "regular" channels that are also screensavers? I.e. not a screensaver-only)
0 Kudos