Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coskel
Roku Guru

Can I use streamURL instead of media:content on simple grid

Revamping a channel with the simple grid layout.
Currently using the videoplayer layout, which calls the video from my Wowza server using streamUrl
HLS video link is m3u

I see in the simple grid layout, video is called with:
 <media:content channels="2" bitrate="1328.0" duration="59" fileSize="9523612" framerate="23.976" height="720" type="video/mp4" width="1280" isDefault="true" url="http://roku.cpl.delvenetworks.com/media/59021fabe3b645968e382ac726cd6c7b/6c9d0951d6d74229afe4adf972b278dd/bc227724e2854c6b93ad48d1feb39c16/roku_ep_115_segment_5_paula_nw_050515.mp4">

Can I change it to:
<streamUrl>http://xxx.xxx.xxx:1935/vod/smil:SON032316.smil/playlist.m3u8</streamUrl>

If so, how? I've been fighting with this and trying to change the main.brs but can't figure it out:

if xmlItem.getName() = "media:content"
item.stream = {url : xmlItem.url}
item.url = xmlItem.getAttributes().url
item.streamFormat = "mp4"

mediaContent = xmlItem.GetChildElements()
for each mediaContentItem in mediaContent
if mediaContentItem.getName() = "media:thumbnail"
item.HDPosterUrl = mediaContentItem.getattributes().url
item.hdBackgroundImageUrl = mediaContentItem.getattributes().url
end if

Thanks in advance everyone!
Channels: Go Live Sports Cast/Audion - Audiobooks On Demand
"All I've had today is, like, six gummy bears and some scotch."
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
tcb
Visitor

Re: Can I use streamURL instead of media:content on simple g

I hear ya Brother!

I've not got the solution but have a similar problem doing this with my livestream.com service.

Not to highjack....but ...looking for answers too!

tcb
0 Kudos
coskel
Roku Guru

you can call me sister...I'm female. 🙂

So the SDK says that m3u should work, but it doesn't?

Second question has to do with multiple rows - I've tried numbering the arrays, buit that doesn't work.
How do I setup multiple rows to use different xml feed sources?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

@coskel -
RTFM says HLS works with m3u (aka m3u8), have you tried setting `item.streamFormat = "hls"` instead
0 Kudos
coskel
Roku Guru

yep, didn't work, unless I'm missing another place where its requested.
...off to dig through code.
0 Kudos
calengineer
Visitor

Re: Can I use streamURL instead of media:content on simple grid

Hi every one, now I have the same issue, did anyone solve it? your help will be appreciate it. 
0 Kudos
coskel
Roku Guru

Nope, never received a solution, so my channel upgrade has been in limbo FOREVER
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"coskel" wrote:
Revamping a channel with the simple grid layout.
Currently using the videoplayer layout, which calls the video from my Wowza server using streamUrl
HLS video link is m3u

I see in the simple grid layout, video is called with:
 <media:content channels="2" bitrate="1328.0" duration="59" fileSize="9523612" framerate="23.976" height="720" type="video/mp4" width="1280" isDefault="true" url="http://roku.cpl.delvenetworks.com/media/59021fabe3b645968e382ac726cd6c7b/6c9d0951d6d74229afe4adf972b278dd/bc227724e2854c6b93ad48d1feb39c16/roku_ep_115_segment_5_paula_nw_050515.mp4">

Can I change it to:
<streamUrl>http://xxx.xxx.xxx:1935/vod/smil:SON032316.smil/playlist.m3u8</streamUrl>

If so, how? I've been fighting with this and trying to change the main.brs but can't figure it out:

if xmlItem.getName() = "media:content"
                       item.stream = {url : xmlItem.url}
                       item.url = xmlItem.getAttributes().url
                       item.streamFormat = "mp4"

mediaContent = xmlItem.GetChildElements()
                       for each mediaContentItem in mediaContent
                           if mediaContentItem.getName() = "media:thumbnail"
                               item.HDPosterUrl = mediaContentItem.getattributes().url
                               item.hdBackgroundImageUrl = mediaContentItem.getattributes().url
                           end if

Thanks in advance everyone!

You probably didn't get a response because there's just not enough information in your post. I can't even tell from what you've posted whether you're trying to use the Scene Graph API or the standard API. Also, I can't tell what you mean by "the simple grid layout" and "the videoplayer layout". And stating that something "didn't work" or "should work, but it doesn't", doesn't give anyone any clue about what's actually happening versus what should be happening.

If you've written your own code that's not working, then you need to post the actual code you're using to play the video, along with a description of what happens when you run the code versus what you expect to happen; as well as any debugger output if the program is crashing; or event logs if the program doesn't crash, but the video doesn't play. And if you're using some example code from somewhere, then post links to that code. Roku has a multitude of examples, samples, templates, tutorials, code snippets, etc. scattered throughout the cyberverse in various web documents, blog postings, forum postings, github repos, sourceforge repos, etc, etc; several of these are called "videoplayer". Without knowing what you're basing your code on makes it harder to figure out what you're trying to do.
0 Kudos