Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jedashford
Channel Surfer

Can I play two SceneGraph Video noes at once?

I'm attempting a picture in picture for ending credits, similar to what Netflix does at the end of a show. I need to shrink the player, pause it, then start another stream behind it fullscreen. I never need both playing, but would like to keep the paused video viewable. 

Every time I attempt this I get an error when trying to play the second stream.
STATE error
position:  0 
errorCode:  0
errorMsg: failed to create media player

If I stop the first video player, then the second works fine, but if I pause, or continue to run the first player, then I still get the above error.

I can't find any documentation that states only one video node can play at once:
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Video

Any ideas if this is possible or any other way to get a picture in picture?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Can I play two SceneGraph Video noes at once?

"jedashford" wrote:
I can't find any documentation that states only one video node can play at once:

Of course not, that's Apocrypha :twisted:
Search the forum, i remember it here somewhere being said There Can Be Only One

Does Netflix genuinely show 2 videos going in parallel PiP, remind me?
0 Kudos
jedashford
Channel Surfer

No, they don't have two streams at once, just shrink the credits with some selectable posters on the bottom of the page. Kinda disappointed I cant pause or even stop (but keep the player on screen) while playing another stream.
0 Kudos
jedashford
Channel Surfer

I found the other thread. It was a side tangent question: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=88621&p=519454&hilit=scene+graph+video+two#p519454

Looks like the answer is no.

Additionally, looks like you cannot even keep two video nodes on the screen at once. One must be fully stopped. And by stopped, its completely removed from the UI.
0 Kudos