Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MEMOM
Channel Surfer

CAPTIONS NEEDS A SKILLED PROGRAMER!

HEY CAN YOU HIRE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO PROGRAM AND MAKE CAPTIONS ?

THIS IS DISCRIMINATION FOR MILLIONS OF DISABLED PEOPLE. YOU  HAVE SOMEONE OR PEOPLE JUST THROWING IT OUT THINKING THEY DID IT AND THINKING THE CAPTIONS ARE FUNCTIONING. WHEN THEY ARE NOT.

YOU ARE NOT LOOKING AT ... ARE THEY READABLE? IT IS LIKE SOME PERSON WHO HARDLY KNOWS COMPUTERS AT ALL HAS BEEN ALLOWED TO DO ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT JOBS!

WHY DO YOU THINK THIS IS LACKING OF IMPORTANCE?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
cocotower
Roku Guru

Re: CAPTIONS NEEDS A SKILLED PROGRAMER!

I wouldn't go so far as to refer to a current shortcoming as discrimination which implies it's intentional.  The indidivual channels are made by different developers who probably haven't figured out how to do CC yet.  The Roku system itself is capable, and I've used it on some of the commercial channels, but even on those channels not all content has CC.  Perhaps your complaint is better aimed at the individual programmers of the thousands of less fortunate channels in the grid, but not at Roku itself.

I personally have been studying the technical aspects of it so I can add CC to some of my content.  It's looking like I might have to author my own CC files which means I have to watch each movie, interpret what the people are saying (and get it right) and code the phrases along with their times and durations.  Then the CC data probably has to be merged into an MKV file so the CC would be an option and not always visible.  If you know of a database of free CC files, please point us in the right direction.

0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: CAPTIONS NEEDS A SKILLED PROGRAMER!

MEMOM, please don't spray multiple posts in every related thread you can find in hopes of getting more visibility, it ends up just being annoying.

0 Kudos