Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Buglet: FormatJSON: Value type not supported: roList

BrightScript Debugger> ? formatJSON( "1,2,3,4".tokenize(",") )
BRIGHTSCRIPT: ERROR: FormatJSON: Value type not supported: roList

BrightScript Debugger> ? formatJSON( createObject("roFileSystem").GetDirectoryListing("pkg:/") )

BrightScript Debugger> ? formatJSON( createObject("roRegistry").getSectionList() )

Umm... wat? Multiple B/S APIs return roList and not roArray, for whatever h*st*rical reason. formatJSON() should not be picky between roList and roArray.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Buglet: FormatJSON: Value type not supported: roList

I agree that FormatJson should handle roLists the same as it does roArrays. However, I wouldn't call it a "buglet", since it states in the BrightScript Reference that "Data types supported are booleans, integer and floating point numbers, strings, roArray, and roAssociativeArray objects"; there's no mention of roList. However, the documentation is rather misleading as the first sentence states: "Formats an Associative Array as a JSON string". Yes, that's true, but it also formats arrays and primitive objects, not just associative arrays.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Buglet: FormatJSON: Value type not supported: roList

Other than me and you @belltown, there probably are somewhere between 3 and 5 other people outside RokuCo that know and care about the difference between "roArray" and "roList". And i still don't know the reason to differentiate between these two - if Lua can make-do with only 1 type ("table") for both lists/arrays and hash-dictionaries - why can't B/S settle on only [ ]  and { }? Perhaps for h*st*rical reasons but a good number of APIs return roList instead of roArray.

So from a pragmatic point of view, un-handling of roList is a shortfall of formatJSON - even if by documents it could not be "convicted" of a bug. roList looks like a duck, quacks like a duck... it should formatJSON as a duck.

Regarding the partial documentation as "Formats an Associative Array as a JSON string" - that's a leftover from two years ago when formatJSON() was accepting only { } at top level and was crashing the player with cyclic structures, cue viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66765#p429036
0 Kudos