Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Breadcrumb truncation

I just noticed that my breadcrumbs are sometimes being truncated under 2.8. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. For example, the breadcrumb pair "My Music - 0" gets displayed as "My Mus... - 0" (which oddly enough takes up about the same amount of space as the whole word would have). On the other hand, "My Videos - 0" gets displayed normally, and "Videos" is obviously a longer word than "Music". I've seen even shorter strings get truncated as well.

Anyone else notice this?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
PositivePeak
Visitor

Re: Breadcrumb truncation

Yes... mine too.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

What screen do you see the truncation on? PosterScreen? Springboard? all of them?

I tried "My Music - 0" on the PosterScreen and it didn't get truncated.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
renojim

At least PosterScreen and SpringBoard, although on the SpringBoard screen it was a different, but very short, string that was getting truncated. It's funny that your example didn't show it. I'll try to create a new channel with just a PosterScreen. Maybe it has something to do with theme settings? Just so we're clear, these would be set with SetBreadcrumbText("My Music","0").

Browsing around the blip.TV channel I've seen the behavior where really long breadcrumbs are displayed, but sometimes shorter ones are truncated.

-JT

0 Kudos
auzy
Binge Watcher

Mine are truncated too, but oddly not correlated to length? Poster and Springboard Screen behavior is the same.

for example:

"Alphabetical-Daniel Cook"
gets truncated to:
"Alphabetical-Daniel Co.."

but

"Alphabetical-A World Of Wonders"
does not get truncated.

Only noticed in 2.8, but don't have older FW available to test on.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

auzy,

Your example shows the somewhat complicated way Breadcrumb1 and BreadCrumb2 share the space... This should be the same between v2.7 and v2.8 though.

For the curious:

Breadcrumb1 and Breadcrumb2 take as much space as they can. If they exceed the width of the widget (which may also grow in some situations) they split the width evenly unless one of them is less than 1/2 of the width. In that case, we give the smaller breadcrumb enough space to display in entirety and give the large breadcrumb the remainder of the width.

So, you example swaps "largest" location between Breadcrumb1 and Breadcrumb2.

Consider this trivia, as we may change it at any time....

--Kevin
0 Kudos
renojim

Just as another example of strangeness, I have a Springboard screen that uses the breadcrumbs to display the current time. Breadcrumb1 is the time, e.g. 5:32, and Breadcrumb2 is the am/pm indicator (I don't remember why I split it like that; it's been a while). Sometimes the time will be displayed as 5... pm. The next minute when the time changes, the full time will be displayed. Obviously they are very short breadcrumbs, so I have no idea why they'd be truncated.

-JT

0 Kudos
auzy
Binge Watcher

That is curious behaviour; though I do see the goal it's trying to accomplish. I wonder though if the algorithm has a hiccup in it, since case in point, the 2nd example prints in full but the 1st, shorter example, does not. The widget space is certainly available.

"RokuKevin" wrote:
unless one of them is less than 1/2 of the width

half of the width of the widget, or half of the width of opposing breadcrumb?

I assume you measure in pixel widths for the variable width charcters? Or is it # of characters?
Can you give an example of the pixel widths of the text, the breadcrumb widget region, and how it gets divvied up between them?

Thanks
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Sounds like a bug... For short strings like your clock example, we should not be truncating.

We'll take a look.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
renojim

"RokuKevin" wrote:
I tried "My Music - 0" on the PosterScreen and it didn't get truncated.

It only does it if the display is set to one of the SD modes.

-JT

0 Kudos