Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Kyle
Visitor

Application Creation Question

I have just downloaded the SDK and have been groing through some of the included documents. I must admit right off I am not a pro by any means of the word when it comes to programming. I'm self taught in what little php I know but it has gotten me by with coding new features to the online game I own.

What I would like to do is turn my online game into a ROKU Applications that users can access, join, and play right from their ROKU player. I attempted to take a look at the examples that the ROKU SDK provides and they are using some .brs file format which I can't seem to open. Which means I can't see the example coding in order to attempt to determine how to create a ROKU Application of my online game.

So, this brings me to a few questions:
1) What would i need to download in order to view those files?
2) While I'm sure I'm headed into something that is far too complex for my level of knowledge in programming...what exactly would I need to learn to accomplish my goal?
3) Is anyone willing to help me with this...LOL I'm sure most of you are too busy for that, but anything relating to questions 1 and 2 would at least help me get pointed in the right direction. Though, anyone willing to help me on this project for free or pay would be greatly appreciated. 🙂
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Re: Application Creation Question

The .brs files are plain text. Any text editor can open them. BRS stands for BrightScript -- the language used for the SDK

Also, not sure what kind of games these are, but Roku doesn't currently support Flash...
0 Kudos
Jason_Kyle
Visitor

Re: Application Creation Question

The game is written completely in php and uses mysql.

How easy would it be to get Roku to interact with my actual website so users could utilize the php text-based game?
0 Kudos