Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brandon15811
Visitor

Re: Apple Airplay Protocol for Roku?

"jbrave" wrote:
I would like to see the opposite of airplay for roku: an iPad/iPhone port of the roku ui. This would allow roku apps to be instantly available to iPhone/iPad users. Someone at roku, tell me this isn't a great idea, and roku users would have one ui across several devices, and could make purchases from the channel store on their I-devices. Also, on android would be great. Since the environment is supposedly built on qt, this should not be too difficult, as cross platform app building is built into qt.

-Joel

But wouldn't the opposite of Airplay be Roku sending video to an iPhone? And I doubt they would that, since the Roku is highly secured
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

iPad isn't any less secure, and this would be easily possible under the condition I suggested.
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
erwinf
Visitor

So Doubletwist just released a $5 app called AirPlay for the Android platform that allows Androids to transmit pictures, video, or music to an Apple TV. I assume this means the interface must now be available? I'd also love to have this ability with my Roku. I've been testing an Apple TV, and like the Roku better, EXCEPT for this missing feature. I LOVE being able to use AirPlay from my iPad, 3 iphones, iTouch, and to be able to use those devices to remotely control the Apple TV (really nice for typing in passwords, searching, etc). This would be a GREAT enhancement for the Roku.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"erwinf" wrote:
So Doubletwist just released a $5 app called AirPlay for the Android platform that allows Androids to transmit pictures, video, or music to an Apple TV. I assume this means the interface must now be available? I'd also love to have this ability with my Roku. I've been testing an Apple TV, and like the Roku better, EXCEPT for this missing feature. I LOVE being able to use AirPlay from my iPad, 3 iphones, iTouch, and to be able to use those devices to remotely control the Apple TV (really nice for typing in passwords, searching, etc). This would be a GREAT enhancement for the Roku.

As far as I'm aware, the interface is not available. Doubletwist most likely reverse engineered it, which won't make Apple terribly happy, I'm sure. Regardless, though, that's going in the opposite direction of what you're wanting for the Roku. Doubletwist is sending content to the Apple TV, it's not receiving content from an iOS device, which is what the Roku would need to do.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Isn't this what the new socket functions are for? They support UDP connections.

We just used the 3.0 beta ecp funtions for our musichackday San Francisco hack, flinging music tracks and playlists from SoundGarage Mobile for Android to MusicClouds on the Roku and having the art display and music play immediately.

-Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos