Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: An icon for BrightScript language

Unfortunately, scandium bromide (Br[sub:6q39wr3x]3[/sub:6q39wr3x]Sc) is white and doesn't seem to have any other relevance except for the chemical symbol.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
I can export the paths to an Illustrator file but don't have Illustrator which is required to produce the SVG file. Anyone else?

I found Adobe Illustrator CS6 on one of the machines i administer. Never used the thing but suppose if it's just a file conversion, even i can pull it off?
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ecnnoow3egbwjy/brightscript_eps.zip?dl=1

EnTerr - this is a photoshop.eps file. It has a vector path in it. If you open in Illustrator, you should see the icon in black but the path is the important part. Check out the directions @marcelo.cabral linked to. They say use "Save As..." not "export.."   I found an online SVG converter, tried that and then got as far as creating the font in icomoon but i could not see a preview of it, so something was not right, perhaps the conversion. It's probably better you take it from here as I have no experience with Github and have no intention of messing with other people's stuff, I'm sure it's like breathing for you. Let me know if this source file needs to be different in any way.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

here is it converted to SVG (the default v1.1; not 1.0 and not 1.2 and not 1.1 tiny or 1.1 basic, nor .svgz... i doubt that matters):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0VppCXHuWBnSE5WU2ZtM1M4VzQ

I'll defer the further sub-Atomic tap dance to @marcelo.cabral or @belltown.

The image seems to come on a bigger white canvas, no idea if that has effect - but from looking inside the .svg, shrinking it should be as easy as editing in the xml header.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Unfortunately, scandium bromide (Br[sub:rzmn4qxc]3[/sub:rzmn4qxc]Sc) is white and doesn't seem to have any other relevance except for the chemical symbol.

Ah, scandium! A rare metal, kinda befitting a rare script.
I feel it should be ScBr though, the metal first. I am puzzled actually why sulfur bromides are written as BrS and not SBr - but so it is.

No harm geeking out. Speaking of which, BRS can also mean Big Red Switch or Brown Recluse Spider Smiley LOL
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

I don't know if anyone's still working on figuring out how to get a custom BrightScript icon into the file-icons package GitHub repository. I never had the time to try and figure it out myself.

However, I will share what I'm currently using as my own custom BrightScript icon. It's basically a purple pile of poo, taken straight from the Unicode character set, so no custom graphics needed. Just install the file-icons package and edit your Atom stylesheet as follows:

// ATOM editor stylesheet
//
// To edit:
// - Mac: Atom > Open Your Stylesheet
// - Linux: Edit > Stylesheet...
// - Windows: File > Stylesheet...

// To use a custom icon, install the file-icons package (version 2 or higher!)

// Define a custom icon style that will be used for the
// tree-view, tabs, fuzzy-finder, find-and-replace, and archive-view,
// for all file names ending in ".brs"
.icon[data-name$=".brs"]:before {

// If you want your icon to stand out more, make it bold...
font-weight: bold;

// I'll make mine a light purplish color...
color: #c7a4c0;

// You can use any supported Unicode character for the icon's content, e.g...

// content: "\1F4FA"; // TV (isn't that what a Roku's for)
// content: "\1F3AE"; // Video game console (if you're into gaming)
// content: "\1F43F"; // Chipmunk (the closest thing to a squirrel)
content: "\1F4A9";    // Pile of poo (my favorite Unicode character)
}

// You can further style the icons in the tab headers independently if you wish
.tab > .icon[data-name$=".brs"]:before {

// If the icon doesn't seem to line up the way you want, then change it...
top: -1px;

// In the tab headers, I want my purple pile of poo to be bigger...
font-size: 18px;
}

You can even make your BrightScript icon look like a squirrel (that's if you think a chipmunk looks like a squirrel). For a real squirrel icon (squirreltown), you'd have to sign this petition: https://www.change.org/p/unicode-give-us-the-squirrel-emoji-now
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Well uh, i converted earlier to SVG above - weren't one of you Atomic fans supposed to peruse?

Ah, at last a PPP that does not mean Purchasing Power Parity - or for those old enough to have touched a modem, "Point to Point Protocol"
Purple Pile o'Poo, how that rolls in the mouth!
[spoiler=unsupported unicode character by teh forum:24f0gecm][/spoiler:24f0gecm]
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
Well uh, i converted earlier to SVG above - weren't one of you Atomic fans supposed to peruse?

Your icon looks great. I was waiting to see if marcelo was going to figure out how to get it implemented, since he was the one asking about it. I don't care one way or the other, although I'd likely use it if it were implemented. I just need a way to quickly distinguish my BrightScript files from my XML files and others that I'm working on, which I can do with the stylesheet I posted.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
You can even make your BrightScript icon look like a squirrel (that's if you think a chipmunk looks like a squirrel). For a real squirrel icon (squirreltown), you'd have to sign this petition:https://www.change.org/p/unicode-give-us-the-squirrel-emoji-now[/url:3a7sssi2]

Thank you! I signed it natch. 
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos