Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Am I wrong using roAppManager?

Attempting to migrate a channel from roImageCanvas to use screens. I have limited experience with screens so I began looking into examples I have found. I came across one one that creates a Lunch menu using roAppManager. My question is how can you move the images and text around on the screen. I see no options to change either location on the screen. Both are set in an array and displayed on a rolistscreen. The text for "Title" comes up on the left and an image associated with the title is on the right. Any way to modify these locations with roappmanager?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Am I wrong using roAppManager?

So you are using roListScreen. roAppManager is just for theming/coloring - it's just there to add salt&pepper.

You can't change the composition of the "ro-" screens. The progression i think goes:

1. You start by using roListScreen, roPosterScreen, roGridScreen etc when you can

2. You move to roImageCanvas when unhappy with the layout of preset screen from above, now you can move things around but have to write your own interactions (more work)

3. You move to roScreen when (if ever) unhappy with the animation performance of roImageCanvas - now you have to "manually" re-paint everything every frame (even more work)

4. You move to Roku Scene Graph, when feeling suicidal and casual self-mutilation like cigarette-burns and wrist-cutting don't um, cut it anymore
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Thanks EnTerr for the very insightful information. I guess I have pass the the first 3 and forced to try 4 or may leave the channel on roImageCanvas. Really liked how the rolistscreen looked, but must have the ability to move things around.
Thanks again
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"btpoole" wrote:
Thanks EnTerr for the very insightful information. I guess I have pass the the first 3 and forced to try 4 or may leave the channel on roImageCanvas. Really liked how the rolistscreen looked, but must have the ability to move things around.
Thanks again

If you really care about how things look and like things to be exactly where you want them, my suggestion is go directly to #3. Yes, you have to code each and every thing that goes on the screen, but you only have to do it once. Build functions that just draw things or groups of things and then call those functions. Your animations will run as fast as the Roku can go, you have complete control over color, fades, cross-fades etc. I knew nothing when i started and so having done EnTerr's list ( not #4!), it was not a waste of time at all, but I would do it differently if I did it again.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Thanks squirreltown.  I guess I am so use to the roImageCanvas so much I am making it harder than it should be. I have a fully functioning live programming channel with full epg and preview window. I thought I'd try to migrate it to roscreen and make animiation (scrolling mostly) smoother. I did find the beta screengraph epg example on the forum and have been studying that trying to break down what controls each element. I guess it's a matter of time and will power. 
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

I have looked at probably 75% of the sdk and reviewed multiple examples of scene graph. There is a lot of useful info but also a lot of confusion. Maybe I am over looking it, but is there any where I can find a list of steps to creating a simple rowlist that gets it's content from urltransfer? I have found multiple pieces and parts but always seem to fall short. Just wondering if there is a set of steps something like.  main.brs>listscene.xml>?>? or what needs to be done from there.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

"btpoole" wrote:
is there any where I can find a list of steps to creating a simple rowlist that gets it's content from urltransfer?

I think if you take a look at PanelSet and break down the example, you can find code that does this - get content from a url and display a list;
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... lSetMarkup
aspiring
0 Kudos