Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yuriy_OM
Visitor

Access to NDK for Roku

Hi Roku Team,

I am writing here as a last resort option to inquire how I can obtain access to the NDK. I have sent emails to roku dev team explaining the project I am working on and company details, but failed to receive any reply.
I know that projects like: Plex, Crackle ... are using the NDK, and it is so weird that it is so hard to initiate a conversation with Roku regarding requirements/options about participating in NDK DEV program.

Our dev team has tried all Roku provided options (SDK, scene graph) just to realize that nothing is suitable for our development effort. The only option left is NDK, but I just can not get any response from anyone .... why Roku would treat their dev community like this? I am not saying - give me NDK access, all I am asking is - talk to me, at least hear me out on what I have to say.

Anyone can help me start a conversation with Roku Team regarding the NDK?

Thank you
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Access to NDK for Roku

It looks like you joined up less than a week ago, it might take more patience.

Have you really had a fair chance to look into roScreen development? It's pretty powerful/flexible to do basically "anything", with some big-name channels using it.
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

If I'm not mistaken Crackle uses the standard SDK, and the NDK is pretty much reserved for bigger companies with deeper pockets.

I have to back Komag up here, a lot can be done with the standard SDK, and I can't imagine much that can't be done with the screen graph once released. Since it seems the two can coexist the option is that much stronger.

But from what I've seen getting into the NDK program is something Roku takes very seriously and is for a reserve few, I assume do to the risks of loosing the security of the sandbox and the support that goes with the increased complexity. My first thought when I started was I also wanted the NDK since I was more comfortable in the high end language world, but quickly realized it wasn't an option I was going to be granted, and the SDK had a lot more power than I first gave it (even before the screen graph).

I don't know your project obviously but think you might be wasting your time if your only chasing the NDK, and not pursuing the existing options.

Just my two cents.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"sjb64" wrote:
If I'm not mistaken Crackle uses the standard SDK

Actually, I believe the new Crackle that's currently only available on the current gen Roku 2 and Roku 3 does use the NDK, but the fact that it's only available on those two devices is a really good reason not to use the NDK, IMHO. The new Plex channel, on the other hand, is all done with roScreen and the 2D API.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

Haven't seen the new Crackle yet, drops back to the menu screen every time I try to run it.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

@Yuriy_OM -
i was told that as a matter of policy NDK access is limited only to game development currently - and even then it's not given lightly (presumably established track record elsewhere + a good reason). The FAQ i pointed you to also tends to relate NDK & games.

On the reasons we can speculate - i agree with the two mentioned by @sjb64 and "raise" with a 3rd: wanting to keep close tabs on what content is being streamed and when (incl. ads).
0 Kudos