Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cocotower
Roku Guru

AWS S3 signed URL method needed

Can someone for the love of God please post the BrightScript code that generates a signed AWS S3 URL for supplying to the Video.url field?  The signed URL needs to include the GET method, of course.  I'm not asking about CloudFront.  S3 does not require CloudFront, so please do not post that code.  I've been using public buckets for too long now because I have never seen a solution to using private bucket videos.  Public buckets don't require URL signing or anything but just the video URL, and almost all ROku sample channels seem to suggest using public buckets.  Surely Roku has clear documentation on doing it the right way.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuJonathanD
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: AWS S3 signed URL method needed

Hi @cocotower 

Can you explain more on your current efforts to include signed Amazon S3 buckets in your feed. Have you attempted to include the full Amazon S3 bucket signed URL for a video in the content feed?

Let me know and we'll try to get you a more detailed response.

0 Kudos
cocotower
Roku Guru

As I stated in my post, I'm trying to generate the signed URL from my channel.  That's how signed URLs work... you need to create it from your program based on the current date/time and expiration time, server operation like GET, etc.

I'm not aware of any feature in the AWS S3 console UI for obtaining a presigned URL to a file.  Such a URL that doesn't expire would essentially be the same as giving public access to the file if somebody finds the signed URL in my feeds.

I need somebody who's written a channel that accesses private AWS S3 files to tell me what BrightScript code they used to create the signed URL for providing to the Video component.

0 Kudos
RokuJonathanD
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Sounds good. Please detail your request to Roku Partner Success, and we'll get you a detailed answer.

0 Kudos

Did you find a solution to your question? Curious as I have the same question. Thank you. 

0 Kudos