Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ggysbers
Visitor

A way into other sandboxes?

Ahoy,

I was daydreaming; visualizing (somewhat abstractly) the dynamics of Roku's SDK and the whole sandbox security topology.

Screen savers have accesss to tmp:// because thats how cover art is delivered from a parent audio app (eg. Pandora or audioapp.zip). So then couldn't I create a generic screen saver and then select said screen saver as system default from Roku's traditional Settings --> Screensaver. Now said screen saver could have access to the tmp:// filesystem of any app currently running on the system...? Right? Or would it have it's own tmp:// space created specifically for the duration of the system activity timeout?

Would said screen saver have access to its own pkg:// file system or the pkg:// of the parent app. Eg. Could I pause playback in Hulu or goto an episode screen of Netflix, wait for the system to timeout & load my screen saver which in reality could be a filebrowser or minime webserver?

It is not my intent to create problems or to break anything... My only motivation is to further understand technology & hopefully make it better. I'm a fixer, have been my whole life.

Sincerely,
Grant
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: A way into other sandboxes?

A screensaver runs in a separate Brightscript environment than the app that happens to be running. That means they have separate tmp: and pkg: directories, separate registries, etc. There's no way to access anything in another Brightscript environment.

--Mark
0 Kudos
ggysbers
Visitor

Then how does cover art go fromt he parent app to the screensaver?
0 Kudos
ggysbers
Visitor

So the only time two apps could share a tmp:// filesystem is if the primary app calls a RunScreenSaver() sub?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Channels signed with the same devID can access the same registry and tmp:/ area, so if you have a screensaver built into your channel, you can pass data and files between the screensaver and the app (if both are running at the same time) by writing files to tmp:/ or writing data to the registry.

- Joel
0 Kudos