Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flingsoft
Visitor

A couple really simple ones

I have some super simple questions on some items that I just can't seem to get 100% on.

1. For the Synopsis/Description text in the roPosterScreen view (for video) I cannot seem to change the text color. I have every possible Attribute in there set that makes sense.

2. I start working with the videoplayer demo code to get a little more into it, but no matter what I do I cannot seem to get Actors to appear above the description in roPosterScreen. Everything seems to be there, but just nothing shows. Any ideas?

3. Lastly, in the sample XML I see resultLength and endIndex, but I was wondering do we really need to set up a page for our results. Is there some kind of upper limit on the amount of items returned to the view?

Thanks in advance for the help.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: A couple really simple ones

"flingsoft" wrote:
1. For the Synopsis/Description text in the roPosterScreen view (for video) I cannot seem to change the text color. I have every possible Attribute in there set that makes sense.

For roPosterScreen, the theme attribute is episodeSynopsisText. For roSpringboardScreen, use springboardSynopsisColor

"flingsoft" wrote:
2. I start working with the videoplayer demo code to get a little more into it, but no matter what I do I cannot seem to get Actors to appear above the description in roPosterScreen. Everything seems to be there, but just nothing shows. Any ideas?

roPosterScreen does not display actors. Actors only appear on the springboard screen.

"flingsoft" wrote:
3. Lastly, in the sample XML I see resultLength and endIndex, but I was wondering do we really need to set up a page for our results. Is there some kind of upper limit on the amount of items returned to the view?

There's no hard limit. The best thing is probably to experiment with it and see what works best for your situation.
0 Kudos
flingsoft
Visitor

Thanks for the response.

1. Perfect, SpringboardSynopsisColor actually isn't in the Component Reference doc. You guys have it in there as SpringboardSynopsisText. Seems to be resolved.

2. I am using roSpringboardScreen, sorry I totally mis-spoke. I was just trying to get Actors to show up in the sample videoplayer app and its always blank. Its in the file appDetailScreen.brs, I think its an issue with the sample code. I will keep on it.

3. I ask this because I choose my first category and its perfect. Then any category after that returns a parse error. When I test it under XML validators or just view the feed coming back, things look fine. The only difference is that my first category returns ~30 results and some of the others return 100s. Any way I could message someone there directly to have them check out the feed?

Thanks for the help, much much appreciated.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"flingsoft" wrote:
I am using roSpringboardScreen, sorry I totally mis-spoke. I was just trying to get Actors to show up in the sample videoplayer app and its always blank. Its in the file appDetailScreen.brs, I think its an issue with the sample code. I will keep on it.

The video player example is admittedly confusing and I haven't looked at it in quite a while. It is correctly displaying the contents of the actors array on the springboard. If you look at line 157 of showFeed.brs, you will see that it is populating the actors array with the contents of the <genre> tag from the XML. You would probably need to make some modifications to support display of multiple actors.

Also worth noting, the springboard operates in different modes depending on the value of the contentType attribute. Not all of them display actors. Check out the documentation for SetDescriptionStyle() on page 44 of the component reference for more information.
0 Kudos
flingsoft
Visitor

Thanks again, I will dig into that.

Any idea why I would be getting an XML fed parse error when its validating everywhere else? Is there any limits on file size or anything else? Literally only my first category feed works, but the same code drives all of them as the XML is generated dynamically, so there is no difference to the structure between each of them.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

It sounds like your xml files are too large.... 100's of items will consume too much memory on the Roku.

It would be better to implement some sort of paging or add more hierarchies to your navigation structure.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
flingsoft
Visitor

Is there a defined size limit on the number of items or the size of the XML returned?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

There is no hard cap, but you will run into slow page loads with (retrieving...) messages....

--Kevin
0 Kudos
flingsoft
Visitor

Is there any documentation around this? For example, I have one category that returns 26 videos and it works fine. I have another that returns 110 results and it fails to parse. When I limit that same category to 60 results it is fine, go up to to 65 and it fails. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what the threshold is. Also, is there a way to display the actual parse error if there was one? (And yes all the XML is validating outside the box).

Thanks again.
0 Kudos