Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arwen
Channel Surfer

Re: 4K MP4 h264/h265 content?

Back to the original subject.

I would not think 4K video would be suitable for streaming to homes in the next year or 2.

However, having the h265 CODEC could be useful, even for 1080p. For example, VUDU
stated in the past that their HDX is lower bandwidth that other 1080p streaming sources.
I am guessing they are using h264 advanced CODEC while the "other" sources were using
the MP4 Simple CODEC.

So, if the h265 CODEC gets us lower bandwidth requirements for 1080p, (& 720p, SD), then
it's a win for everyone. (AND less buffering problems...)

My own experience with MP4 Simple CODEC verses MP4 Advanced CODEC, (aka h264),
is that the h264 is 1/2 the size of simple encoded videos. Thus, half the streaming bandwidth.

So my vote for the Roku 4 model is to include h265, (if it's officially a standard and released).
Even if 4K video is not part of the Roku 4.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
The debate continues: :roll:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/ ... ifference/
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/07/31 ... ble-tested
http://gizmodo.com/305549/james-randi-o ... are-better

OMFG, $340 "audiophile" Ethernet cables? I'm gonna wet my panties! AudioQuest does not disappoint (i recollect those were some of the ones selling $xxxx diamond/gold HDMI cables). "Vodka" cables... that's some seriously soaked thinking.

Praises be upon James Randi for qualifying such para-normal cables for his $1M prize, together with homeopathy, psychics, energizing bracelets and dowsing divination!

Oh, in case someone wonders why we are discussing snake-oil solutions in the 4K video thread... it's because 4K TVs are snake oil themselves 😉 - given our retina resolution, TV size and the distance we watch them from. A little back-of-the-envelope math, taking into account human eye's resolution of 1 arc-minute in its best, central vision zone (skinny triangle, we come with the following rule-of-thumb when shopping for a 4K TV:
diagonal_in_inches_4kTV = 15 * watching_distance_in_feet

As simple as that. If one will be watching from the typical 9ft, one needs to buy 15*9 = 135" 4K TV. Conversely, if you are buying 55" 4K TV, you should be sitting 55/15 = 3.7 ft from it, buddy - or you are losing on image quality by sitting any farther.
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"Arwen" wrote:
Back to the original subject.

4k Content on Roku
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
So just like with the MHL port ("Roku-ready") 3 years ago, RokuCo is trying to keep ahead of the curve. Back then, i had abundance of healthy skepticism of the success of such product, because there were no un-smart TVs with MHL ports, for which that would have been a killer product. And it remained that way for 2.5 years and only recently (last 6mo) cheapo MHL TVs started popping up.

My guess is it will take 12 to 24 months to bring product to market, so a 4k RokuTV will be available some time in 2016... say Summer 2016.

I think you're being a bit naive if you think they haven't already been working on this for quite some time already. I'd be surprised if the 4K sets aren't out by Q4 of this year at the latest.

No 4K RokuTVs yet. On a separate note, i notice 4K TVs with MHL sticks, like this Fry's deal for $1300 - $500 email code = $800 on 4K 65" RCA PRK65A65RQ, creatively mislabeled* as a "4K UHD Smart Roku LED TV".

(*) Elsewhere we discussed terminology and if i recollect came with the name "Roku-stuck" 😛 for "Roku-ready" sets that ship with the stick stuck.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

A year later, the update from CES 2016 is, TCL said 4K RokuTVs models to be announced/ready Spring 2016.
So one should be able to buy them like what... in June, i suppose.
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

woo I got the right green square. :mrgreen:
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos