Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keen
Streaming Star

11.5 - the end of my roku relationship! (death of SDK1)

I just have to vent.  I know this will get deleted. 🙂

With the forced update to 11.5, and the resulting death of SDK1, I no longer have a use for roku devices.  I maintain my own rarplex fork, and with the switch to beta channels (because you can't publish SDK1) keep my fork published every beta channel expiration.

no one is going to rewrite rarplex for SG, and plex (the server) moved on, and my library and usage pattern doesn't fit their new business model.

so more forced bitrot and dead hardware.

I have a network level blocked roku that I'll keep my last copy of rarplex on, but I won't be spending any more time writing brightscript in the future and won't be investing in any more hardware.

sad days.

wish roku cared enough to at least allow us to control what OS release we ran, but that's a ship that's long since sunk.

5 REPLIES 5
keen
Streaming Star

Re: 11.5 - the end of my roku relationship! (death of SDK1)

on the plus side, 11.5 fixed the AVR+CEC volume down (at least in quick testing) that was broken with 10.0 (or 10.5)?.....

spoke to soon, that went back to broken. 

0 Kudos

Hello Keen. I am having the same issue as you and my rarPlex I was using up until yesterday broke.  It's still on there I even deleted it and added again,  same just doesn't load my Plex. Is there any way you can email your zip file of your working RarPlex that I can add and still use iptv inside plex. I'm using a 7 year old zip file of rarplex I got off guthub years ago.  I'd appreciate so much if you'd be willing to let me use your zip. Here is my email

Ryan.athey@gmail.com 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
keen
Streaming Star

the problem is that os 11.5 removed the code that rarplex uses.  it's fully totally completely dead.  even sideloaded (dev loaded) versions won't run.

the UI you get is the convoluted and confusing user experience that roku opted for.

The copy I have running still is on a machine that my firewalls block all internet access from, AND DHCP gives it a bad default gateway.   this is the only way I've found to prevent it from updating.

0 Kudos

@keen , do you know if its possible to rewrite Rarflix from SDK1 to SG?

0 Kudos
keen
Streaming Star

@LiquidTeaJa possible? yes.   is anyone going to fund it?  doubt it.   especially since it's basically not possible to install the old versions of plex that it works with.

it's about a 90% or more rewrite to switch to SG.

0 Kudos