Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
REB4

using same remote with more than 1 device

Jump to solution

I have older Roku in which the remote has earphone plug so I can watch without disturbing others.  Over time I have added remotes on my other tv's.  is it possible to use the remote with earphones on the other roku devices instead of the simple remotes that came with the new Rokus or does each remote only work a specific roku device?  I do not want to have to do a remote set up each time I would use the earphone remote in other rooms of my house.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: using same remote with more than 1 device

Jump to solution

@REB4 

No.

While a Roku device can have more than one remote, Roku remotes can tie to one only device. You cannot have a WiFi Direct remote tied to multiple Roku devices.

All Roku devices except Roku TV and Roku Sticks will work with standard IR remotes, whether a Roku Simple Remote, or a universal remote with Roku codes. So you could have an IR remote to control the Roku devices, but it won't have the headphones. All that means: no.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@REB4 

No.

While a Roku device can have more than one remote, Roku remotes can tie to one only device. You cannot have a WiFi Direct remote tied to multiple Roku devices.

All Roku devices except Roku TV and Roku Sticks will work with standard IR remotes, whether a Roku Simple Remote, or a universal remote with Roku codes. So you could have an IR remote to control the Roku devices, but it won't have the headphones. All that means: no.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
BenMitchell
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ok, here is my setup.  I have 1 Roku in my living room and 3 people that watch it.  Can I buy 3 remotes and each person can have one?  So, how many remotes can I have that can control that 1 Roku Ultra?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@BenMitchell, the simple answer is "Yes".  Whether you get "Simple Remotes" that have to have a clear line of sight to the front of the Ultra or "Voice Remotes" that have to be paired with the Ultra or a combination of both everyone should be able to control the Ultra.  @Tivoburkee can probably tell you how many "Voice Remotes" can be paired, but I'm pretty sure it's more than three and the number of "Simple" remotes you can use is unlimited.  I'm also pretty sure that private listening on the "Voice Remote Pro" can only be used by one remote at a time and I don't know how well having multiple "Pros" using hands-free voice commands would work if at all.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

I have Roku soundbar that has 17 remotes paired to it. The max I came up against is 20 remotes, after that it replaces one of the old remotes, don't know how it picks the one to erase? 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

I have Roku soundbar that has 17 remotes paired to it.

What could you possibly have that necessitates 17 remotes?

0 Kudos
CueHD

Jump to solution

You could also use a phone or tablet with the Roku app. The app can pair with every Roku on the same WiFi but control one at a time. You just select from a list. The app also supports private listening through the device speakers or any headphone connected to it via either headphone jack or Bluetooth.