Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jellen

unable to control remote navigation

I have a Roku express which I have had for over a year and have had no problems until about a week ago when I started having issues with the navigation keys not responding when pushed then when they did respond they continued to scroll up or down, left or right.  I thought it might be the batteries and changed them to new and problem persisted.  I unplugged the Roku devise for a few minutes and replugged and initially it seemed to help but problem came back.  I then ordered a new remote and that didn't help either.  Today I purchased a new Roku Express and got to the step to input my Wi-Fi password and couldn't because it would't stop scrolling up or down or right or left.  The buttons don't seem to be stuck on any of the remotes old or new.  I am using the device on a 32 inch ELEMENT HD TV.  Don't know what to do.

9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: unable to control remote navigation

It sounds like some kind of IR interference.  Sunlight can cause problems as can a remote stuck in a couch cushion.  If you stand really close to the Roku and shield it from any other light source does the remote work?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Demwau

I am having the exact same problem. Even my Ruko app on my android phone does the same thing.

I have tried resetting the Express unit, powering it off and on, and even changed the HDMI cable. Nothing works. Help

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Demwau 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information regarding the issue you are experiencing? What exactly is the issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Davidb316
Channel Surfer

I am also having this issue. Box is bow unusable!!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Davidb316

I hope you're doing well.

Could you tell us specifically the issue you're running into? Does the issue occur even if you use another Roku remote or the Roku mobile app? 

If you have a Voice Remote, you can try the troubleshooting steps on this Support page: How do I resolve issues with my Roku voice remote?
Meanwhile, refer to this link if it's IR remote: How do I resolve issues with my Roku simple (IR) remote?

We'll be able to assist you once we have further details of your concern.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
COKroll

I have the following issue: my remote buttons (including navigation, home, OK, all of them) are recognized by the roku as evidenced by the clicking sound, however the function of the button doesn't work. I've unplugged the roku premier for 10 seconds and reset the remote. I've now done a factory reset, but cannot navigate setup because the problem persists.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @COKroll

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
revshowers

My remote will not connect to the streaming devise. I see the set up info on the screen, but when I point and try to respond it won't. What is this?  

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @revshowers

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

The troubleshooting steps suggested in this Support link: How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working may help. Try giving it a shot then let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos