Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJ54
Reel Rookie

Re: roku express remote not working/does not connect with roku

Thanks Dan,

I did start to think that as I had paired my old Roku 3 Gaming remote whether that was a WiFi connection, so thanks for confirming this.

Roku support have just replied with standard trouble shooting solutions to try, I have replied, but it looks like a new Voice Remote might be the answer, which is a WiFi connected unit.

Awaiting Roku support reply, but thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos

I have had the exact same problem!  I literally just unboxed a bran new Roku Express.  The remote worked when I installed it.  After the Roku ran updates and rebooted, the remote stopped working.  I even changed the batteries, tried the phone camera, unplugged the Roku, etc.  The remote is not working.  I can’t see anything on the phone camera.  But it totally worked when i first plugged the Roku in and ran the setup and logged in.  How is that possible for it to stop working in just five minutes from first use?

model 3930x

0 Kudos
DJ54
Reel Rookie

The response from Roku support is that "it looks like the remote is faulty" and as it is still in warranty, I can return the whole unit, remote + receiver, to their warehouse (at my own expense) and they will process a replacement. As I do not have the address of the warehouse, and the cost of returning the unit was around half the cost of a new Voice Remote, we have purchased one of these, which is currently doing the job. Not surprisingly, there was no mention of the possibility of it being related to the Roku updates or a known issue with the simple remote, so I figured that the best way forward was to purchase a new remote. Not really the quality of customer service I expected when there is clearly an issue, judging by the number of similar posts that have been posted on this problem. My suggestion is to by-pass Roku support and return the unit to the dealer you purchased it from and source a replacement from them.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ConcernedNinja

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.