Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMM5

roku express remote not working/does not connect with roku

My Roku express remote has stopped working ~ 3 months after purchase. I have changed its batteries, changed the HDMI cable from Roku to television, done a reset of my Roku express.  The remote and the roku express device are not communicating.  Serial # X004000SN46L.  Please advise.

13 REPLIES 13
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku express remote not working/does not connect with roku

@JMM5 

To test if your remote is actually emitting an IR signal...

1. Using your cell phone, enter camera mode and place it at remote as though you were taking a picture.

2. Point the remote directly at phone's camera and press some buttons - You should see a red or purple flash of light on your phone's screen.

----

Try installing the official Roku mobile app available in Play/Apple Stores on your phone to use as a Remote while troubleshooting your issue.  (https://support.roku.com/article/217288467).  You won't be able to use the mobile app if by "resetting" your device, you mean Factory Reset.  If you just restarted your device, then the mobile app will work.

Do you happen to know the model number of your Roku Express?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Onque1963

model 3920x   everything has new batteries. ive beenat this for a month. not that I cant buy another but why?  on the account there are no devices now and i think i did or tried to factory reset when i started this mission.  ok jjust tested pointing at camera no lights

0 Kudos

And if there’s no flash on camera dies this mean the remote is not working? Is there a procedure to fix this?  The volume button is working but nothing else on the remote. 
I tried another ROKU remote and it doesn’t work either. 
does this mean it’s probably the ROKU player itself and not the remote? 
I have reset and unplugged ROKU and let it cool off before plugging back in. Didn’t fix it. The stick gets very hot. It is less than a year old. 

0 Kudos
renojim

@GoganltzPhyllis, do you have an actual stick?  That is a device that plugs directly into your TV's HDMI port without the need for an HDMI cable?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@GoganltzPhyllis please excuse the dumb question, but are you certain you have the batteries inserted in the remote correctly? On some Roku remotes the batteries face the same way, while others have one pointing up and the other pointing down. Make sure they match the image shown under the batteries. 

If you don't see any lights flashing through the phone camera, and you're certain the batteries are good and installed correctly, then the remote has failed. It's not common, but it does happen on occasion. It sounds like you're within the one year warranty period, so Roku should send you a replacement. You can also find some very inexpensive universal IR remotes (under $10) that will work on your Express as well. Just make sure the remote lists Roku as a supported device. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DJ54
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 4K HD simple remote stopped working after three months. Replaced under warranty, but remote stopped working after three days. All trouble-shooting checks carried out, batteries, line of sight, roku reset, HDMI cable. I do not see the IR flash in my mobile phone camera, but my old ROKU 3 remote doesn't show either and that still works ? Ticket raised with ROKU support, but they haven't replied ? Any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@DJ54 wrote:

I do not see the IR flash in my mobile phone camera, but my old ROKU 3 remote doesn't show either and that still works ?

Your Roku 3 is likely in WiFi Direct mode, so no IR lights will be visible. The Roku Express 4K (not the + version) comes with an IR only remote. No flashing lights, remote isn't working. But you can pair a WiFi Direct remote to your Express 4K, and then you don't have to be concerned with direct line of sight. I've never had a remote fail, but it's certainly possible.

I also suggest double checking your battery installation on your current remote. Some Roku remotes have both batteries pointing the same direction, while others have one pointing up and the other down. Perhaps a battery popped out and was inserted incorrectly. I know I've done it before. 😄

Dan

0 Kudos
DJ54
Reel Rookie

Thanks Dan, batteries in new remote installed correctly. Roku 3 remote was paired using the pairing button, so does this mean its now in WiFi mode ? As stated, the Roku Express HD remote worked after initial installation from new, but only for three days then just stopped working ? Can get no response from ROKU from the support ticket ? As the Express receiver works, tempted to get new Voice Remote and have done with it ?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yes, when using the pairing button you're using WiFi Direct. There's no pairing with an IR remote. 

Roku should honor the warranty on the remote, but I also see the value in using a Voice Remote instead. You can also use a inexpensive (cheap) universal IR remote that supports Roku players. I've seen them as low as $5-7. And if your Roku is connected to the network the phone app will work as well. But a remote is required to first connect the Roku to the network. Sounds like yours is already connected, so the app would be a short term workaround until you can get a replacement remote. 

Dan