Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user111222
Reel Rookie

remote needs frequent re-pairing

I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ with voice remote (model 3810RW), purchased about 6 months ago. Last week, the remote stopped working for the Roku menu and now needs to be frequently re-paired, usually once a day, but sometimes 2-3 times a day. Nothing has changed with my TV (position, use, internet, etc.). I changed the remote batteries, but it still happens. The easiest way to solve the issue is to go to "Settings" and restart my Roku - that fixes it. It seems to reconnect automatically. I can also unplug the Roku and reset it that way. However, it never stays paired for long. I have also tried "re-pairing" the remote officially by unplugging my Roku and restarting it, removing the batteries and re-inserting, then pressing the "pair" button on the back of the remote. This works, and my remote is paired, but again, only for a short time. I have also tried "set up a new device" from the Settings menu, and again, I can pair the remote, but it only lasts a few hours, then needs to be re-paired again. I have been through every option on the remote troubleshooting page and nothing has fixed the issue. The remote will continue to control the volume and on/off power, even when it's unpaired.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: remote needs frequent re-pairing

@user111222 wrote:

... The remote will continue to control the volume and on/off power, even when it's unpaired.

This is because the remote is controlling the TV directly via IR, not through the Roku via CEC. I'm not sure that this actually means anything in regards to the issue. If that is the case, then we can consider this portion resolved. The rest though...

My understanding is that the remote and Roku device follow your network when communicating. That is, they use the same channel and channel to communicate that the Roku uses when connected to the network. Which means that if there's interference on the network, communication between the two can be compromised, possibly to the point of losing the pairing, or at least thinking they aren't paired, and if they think they aren't paired, they're gonna act like it.

So, to what channel is your Roku connecting? Settings > Network > About

Also, have you tried using the Roku app on your smartphone? I'm not suggesting that as a solution. Rather, as a troubleshooting test. Does the app work where the remote doesn't?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

user111222
Reel Rookie

Yes, the remote works on my smartphone app. That's how I manage to restart my Roki every single day, lol. Under network, the Wireless Channel is 149. Is that what you're asking about? Generally, I've not had any issues with connection overall, at least not as far as staying connected in streaming.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@user111222 

Is that your only Roku device? The Voice Remote can be paired with any current model Roku, so testing on another Roku may help determine if it's the Roku or if it's the remote. I'm leaning towards the remote, as the Roku not experiencing any network issues indicates its network components are working properly, leaving the remote as the more likely suspect.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
user111222
Reel Rookie

Well, yeah, I've figured that it's the remote this whole time! I don't have another Roku, so can't test it out on another stick.

0 Kudos
user111222
Reel Rookie

Still having the same connection issues. Any Roku support people in the forum? Other topics have been posted about this with no solution.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@user111222 

I have no further suggestions regarding how to troubleshoot with the equipment you have.

You could buy a Voice Remote ($20; Walmart, Best Buy, Target, etc, carry them) and try it on your Stick. If it doesn't work, you could return it and confirm the Roku is bad. If it does work, you know the remote was bad.

If it's under warranty, you could use the Roku Returns page. I think you'd have to pay shipping to Roku, but not sure how much that is these days. Compare against a new remote (if the remote is the problem) or new Roku Stick (if device, probably cheaper to return for exchange).

DBDukes