Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abic666
Reel Rookie

i misplaced my Roku remote..

Jump to solution

i misplaced my Roku remote and i got a new one. however it’s not working so i thought about resetting the whole device. but i can’t figure out how to do so. i know the device isn’t connected to WiFi so i need help with that. so how do i completely reset my device and pair the new remote with it? 

i have a Roku 2 by the way

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: i misplaced my Roku remote..

Jump to solution

Roku 2's do not pair with current Wifi Roku remotes. They use Bluetooth remotes that are no longer available. The only remotes would by simple Roku IR remote, or a cheap universal with Roku code. You can't set the wifi for the internet without a working remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Roku 2's do not pair with current Wifi Roku remotes. They use Bluetooth remotes that are no longer available. The only remotes would by simple Roku IR remote, or a cheap universal with Roku code. You can't set the wifi for the internet without a working remote. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
abic666
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

so in other words my device is outdated and i’ll have to get a brand new one. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Or, like @Tivoburkee mentioned – use an IR remote.  (Such as Roku’s cheapest remote, or a universal remote that has Roku codes – which are often even cheaper.)  Then again, Roku 2s are old enough that getting a whole new Roku might make more sense anyway.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@abic666 there are five different models of Roku 2 players. One (the 2 XS, model 3100) uses Bluetooth. The others (models 3000, 3050. 2720 and 4210) use either an IR remote or an older WiFi Direct model. As @Tivoburkee mentioned, I don't think the current WiFi Direct remotes will work with any of them. But an IR remote works on all five models.

Is your Roku outdated? Unless it's the 4210, the answer is yes. And even the 4210 is almost 8 years old. There are a number of recent channel releases that simply won't work on devices this old, and even the 4210 is bare bones slow compared to the latest Premiere or Express 4K+ players. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos