Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fpefpe
Streaming Star

headphone jack not working

About 10 days I was have a problem with the headphone connection to my roku remote  --- its the one that came with  the  best buy  edition of the stream stick 

I had to move the jack/plug around to  so I could hear sound in both ears  

now there is no sound at all --- from the headphones when plugged into the remote, but the headphone  connected  still turns off the audio on the tv 

Is there a way to fix or replace this remote?  

Thanks 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: headphone jack not working

Do you have something else with a headphone jack that you can use to check the headphones?  It could be the headphones and not the remote.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Excellent suggestion by @HDMIGuy 

@fpefpe-

Headphone jacks are notoriously fragile.  I've had them fail on tablets, cell phones and music players.

If you're still within the US 1-year warranty period, see this page for warranty and return information:
https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

Edited to add: As far as replacement remotes go,  The Roku Voice Remote Pro includes a headphone jack.  You can find it on the Roku site as well as local stes like Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc., andeconline stores like Amazon and eBay.

Meanwhile the Android and iOS Roku app gives you remote listening capabilites through a cell phone connected to the same home network as the Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
fpefpe
Streaming Star

Thanks for the info --- as it turns out, I got the  streaming-stick+ back in 2019, so i am out  return period ---   I did find the phone app an was able to use headphones with the phone 

the voice remote pro --- it is covered by the 1-year warranty period?  Thanks  

0 Kudos
makaiguy

I believe a Voice Remote Pro comes with a one year warranty, same as Roku player hardware, but I haven't been able to find confirmation of this online.

Flagging this to bring it to the attention of Roku employees @RokuDanny-R, @RokuKariza-D, & @RokuMary-F

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

Those voice remotes suck. I had two from two Roku Ultra's dump out on me. I have a smartphone that was no longer active and I use it along with the Roku Android app when I want to use headphones.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
fpefpe
Streaming Star

how long did the remotes last? 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@fpefpe wrote:

how long did the remotes last? 

Experience on this seems to vary quite a bit.  Mine has been in service about 10 months and is still going strong.  Others report reduced battery life or inability to charge in much shorter times.

I don't know if this is a contributing factor, but because many (most? all?) rechargeable batteries deteriorate if repeatedly allowed to overcharge, I've always made a point to disconnect my Voice Remote Pro from the charger when it reaches full charge, or slightly before.  I especially try to avoid letting it charge unattended overnight.  The charger I use outputs 2 amps and the remote charges fairly quickly.  You can check the charge level via Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > Voice Remote Pro > About, or just by unplugging from the charger and observing the popup on the upper right corner of the screen.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@makaiguy @fpefpe

I don't think @fpefpe  has a voice remote pro with a rechargeable battery.  There was/is a streaming stick plus headphone edition sold by Best Buy.  I have one and it does not have a rechargeable battery.  I have had no problems with the remote but it is in a spare bedroom that is not used very much.  

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@HDMIGuy-

Yes, I know, but in the first post he was asking about fixing or replacing the remote.  The only current replacement from Roku that has an earphone jack is the Voice Remote Pro.

Whether he can get a replacement from Best Buy for the remote that came with his Best Buy stick version, I have no idea.

0 Kudos