Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bakysengs

control sound bar volume with Roku tv remote?

Ok so I'm stumped here. I had it set up for a while where the audio went through the rear 3.5mm jack into my Vizio sound bar. Power went out a while back and now I cannot figure out how I did it. I can't use ARC because I don't have an HDMI on the sound bar. I didn't get a remote with the sound bar either so I can't mess with any of the settings there. Any suggestions? It's a Hisense 4k Roku tv and a Vizio s3821w.

Remove if not allowed, thank you in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: control sound bar volume with Roku tv remote?

@bakysengs 

If it worked before, I am assuming the soundbar must have been acting like headphones through the 3.5mm jack. (sound sent to soundbar when plugged in).

Try going to the Roku TV Settings/Audio/Audio Output/Enable TV Speakers.

Only other way would be is you used the Optical Port but you indicated 3.5mm so I am guessing the above is the way you had it configured.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Someone else just yesterday had the same problem:

control sound bar volume with Roku tv remote? - Roku Community

As I wrote in that thread, there are two 3.5 jacks, one an input labelled AV in, the other the headphone jack, an output. You probably connected to the wrong one. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
coopergx

I'm also having a problem connecting my Roku remote

to my sound bar.  I just subscribed to Direct TV and purchased the Roku Streaming Stick 4K+.  I have an LG TV and LG sound bar.  None of the info on Roku website addresses sound bar issues.  I also can't even control the volume through the TV on my Roku.  I am not tech savvy in any way and would love some advice in plain English if anyone can help me.

0 Kudos
renojim

@coopergx, by "I also can't even control the volume through the TV on my Roku" I assume you mean the volume buttons on the Roku remote don't control the TV's volume?  Did you go through the process under Settings->Remotes & devices->Remotes->(voice remote)->Setup remote for TV control?

Does the TV's remote control the volume of the sound bar?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos