Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jxjsu3874h

can't control Roku with any remotes

I got a Roku from a friend but can't figure out how to use it.

I think it's a Roku express, model number is 3930x

I was able to reset it and now get the language selection screen, but I can't control it. I tried 2 remotes (I believe they are the simple ir kind, they don't have pair buttons or microphones). They both show an ir signal when pointed at a camera. Both remotes work perfectly fine to control my older Roku tv.

I'd like to use the app, but the Roku isn't connected to my wifi so the app doesn't see the Roku.

What do I do?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: can't control Roku with any remotes

If it controls Roku tv, it will never control a stand-alone Roku like the express, sorry. Roku tv's and Roku devices use two completely different IR code sets then each other. Get a cheap universal remote from target, walmart or the dollar store. Universal remote will control the tv volume unlike the express original IR remote, which has no tv controls at all. If you want a true Roku remote, you can purchase the Wifi Voice remote from Walmart for $20, once paired with express it can be programmed to control tv's too.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos