Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianbp

Re: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries and how to fix?

Jump to solution

I use my Roku remote with ear buds to listen to movies and the batteries drain in about 3-days. 

0 Kudos
Stylee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Because Roku has had this problem for years by looking at the inquiries several years bay. And they do say they’re working on it fix nothing about it because it’s a basic design flaw. It’s using WiFi to connect with the remote and when the system is off the remote is in search mode looking for a connection all the time your Roku stick is turned off. I love what it does but the first time my remote stopped working was a few weeks after I bought it Dec 2021. I think I’ve been through at least 5 changes and I was hospitalized for a couple of months. I also stream to hearing aids or a Bluetooth speaker from the iPhone Roku app. So it’s a great product in all other ways as far as I’m concerned, just ticked off about battery life.

Optimistic

Jump to solution

I have a plain, simple Roku remote (two, actually) which I've had for a number of years, perhaps six years or so. I've never had any problems until lately (the last few months) when I've had to change the batteries several times and when the remotes' connection to the televisions they are synched to stop working until I switch out the (expensive) batteries again. After that, they only work for a week or two before I must replace batteries again. When I went to support.roku.com and watched the video, I realize that Roku devices (players) I have are not shown on the video. What I have doesn't look anything like the devices on the instruction video, perhaps because of their age. Do I need to simply buy newer devices and remotes?

0 Kudos
scoobyclub
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I use this with my Roku Streambar and it works brilliantly and is good quality. Bought it months ago ( as my earlier posts will show ) and have still not had to change the batteries.

https://www.oneforall.com/universal-remotes/urc7935-streamer-remote

You will need to check on the Universal site if your devices are compatible ( their is a list on their site ) but if it is using old fashioned IR ( not Wifi ) then there is a good chance it is.

0 Kudos
Cm_chain

Rapid Battery drain & buttons freeze

Jump to solution

I upgraded my roku and from the beginning it has just drained the battery very rapidly and it intermittently stops working. I frequently have to take one battery out and put it back in to get the remote to function at all. 
my old roku never ever had this issue. I don’t do anything special with the remote and it gets light use. It might sit for days before being used. 
   I see from the posts on here that this is a known problem with many people. I suspect a defective manufacturing batch. I would like my remote replaced. I spent close to $100 on the new roku and remote. I’m not buying another system, especially after reading that this is a common issue. How do I go about doing that? I do not see any way to contact customer support, so I’m posting here. 

hpa1234

Remote draining batters and requiring constant reseating

Jump to solution

Does anyone have any advice for a remote that's draining batteries in a matter of weeks (often causing them to explode in the remote) and only working by constantly reseating the batteries? I'm talking about only working for 3 button pushes and then no longer responding or connecting with the receiver. I had a similar issue with a Roku device I just replaced, and now I'm having the same issue again after having the new Roku device and remote for 2 months. I don't have the ability to send an email or chat with an agent because remote issues are not supported in those Help functions, so I'm hoping there's some solution or information about replacing faulty items. Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Remote draining batters and requiring constant reseating

Jump to solution

Hi @hpa1234 @Cm_chain 

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

For starters, have you tried the troubleshooting steps suggested in this Support link: How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working? If yes and the issue persists, please reply here with the serial number of your Roku device associated with the affected remote. This can be found at the back or underneath the player itself.

Keep us updated!

All the best,
Kariza 

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
rhokuspiesonus
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am sure that roku just wants us to throw away our current devices and upgrade to the new roku sticks with the rechargeable remotes.  I have 2 devices, i did a test with them by removing the batteries after use in one and keeping the batteries in the other.  The batteries in the remote that I took out lasted 8 months so far.  The other in the TV that I hardly use, without removing the batteries, lasted almost a month.  Of course they are both over a year old so they are out of warranty. 

roku has known about this problem for a few years but they never informed their customers about this issue.  Now they expect people to buy the new rechargeable remotes.  I won't spend another cent on another roku device.  This is good news for their competition.  Even most new TV's have the same apps that I can get on a roku. Being a loyal customer doesn't matter anymore. 

Troubleshooting steps don't have anything to do with battery drainage.  I have been troubleshooting for 38 years. Your troubleshooting steps just don't do anything for battery drainage issues, it's your firmware that is the problem.  I'm sorry but we must break up...

NotHappy3
Binge Watcher

Re: Remote draining batters and requiring constant reseating

Jump to solution

And I see we are getting the same exact useless cookie-cutter ROKU (non)support replies as usual!

Pscruton1

Re: Roku TV Remotes draining batteries.

Jump to solution

Thanks! I hate how my roku  began draining batteries and now a newer issue is it will only do 1 command every five seconds most of the time. It has made my streaming experience miserable. We are spoiled and used to things going fast and it seems my roku ultra 4k sounds great but is working like old dial up. Also its eating batteries so much I am using 20 times the batteries than I ever have before. If I buy a different remote will this fix this issue? I have been a faithful roku user for over a decade and feel guilty over wasting batteries so frequently and am frustrated as I cannot find an easy solution. Doesn't roku care about its customers? I have told so many people how great roku is and have encouraged many to cut the cord and many have. But now I feel left behind and disregarded as a customer. Roku please remember all of us who have been with you for years promoting your products to anyone who streams and wants to save money. Please help us .