Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Voice Remote for my Roku Express+ 3910

Jump to solution

I’m planning on getting an official Roku Voice Remote for my Roku Express+ 3910 (the model with analog outputs), to replace the original remote with, but first, I’d like to know if it’s truly compatible with my Roku.  My Roku device is connected to my old analog CRT TV through the analog video outputs.  Will the Voice Remote work with my Roku while connected through the analog video outputs? Or does it only work through the HDMI output?  I’d certainly like to know, thank you for any responses. ~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Voice Remote for my Roku Express+ 3910

Jump to solution

Voice remotes communicate with Roku devices via wifi-direct.  This does not involve the Roku-to-tv connection at all.

My only concern would be whether the few tv control buttons on the Voice remote (i.e. power, volume, and mute which control the tv via infrared) can be configured to work with your old set.  What make and model is the set?  One of our frequent visitors, @Tivoburkee, is very knowledgeable re remotes of all kinds and may be able to help in this regard.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I just bought the regular Voice Remote (RC691) from a local Walmart store tonight, and it works great with my old TV set.  However, it does increase/decrease my TV’s volume and turns the TV on/off when I press a button, but it did not seem to do that when I tested out the voice control for it, it just displays “[Increasing/Decreasing] volume” or “Power [on/off].”  The voice control does work with app shortcuts, though.  Shortly after I tested it, I found out the reason why, when I came across a Voice Remote Pro on Roku’s shop site:

*TV voice control requires CEC compatibility

And as far as I know, CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) is exclusive to HDMI connections only. ARC (Audio Return Channel) is also exclusive to HDMI connections only.

Overall, it’s a great remote. 
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Voice remotes communicate with Roku devices via wifi-direct.  This does not involve the Roku-to-tv connection at all.

My only concern would be whether the few tv control buttons on the Voice remote (i.e. power, volume, and mute which control the tv via infrared) can be configured to work with your old set.  What make and model is the set?  One of our frequent visitors, @Tivoburkee, is very knowledgeable re remotes of all kinds and may be able to help in this regard.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

My set is a Magnavox/Philips TS2756C102, manufactured September 1994.   I don’t connect my Roku directly to it, however.  I have four other devices with analog outputs, a Nintendo Wii-U, a Sony DVP-SR210P DVD player (mfd. November 2018), a Sega Genesis Mini (connected through a Yotocap HDMI conversion box with Zoom function) and a Sharp VC-H870C VCR (one of those vintage quality-made models, mfd. June 1991).  (I have almost 100 VHS tapes in my physical media collection, including Disney titles and public domain titles, so that’s why I have a VCR.)  I connected the Roku and the former three devices through an MT-Viki 8-input video selector switch-box, which then connects to the latter device, and then the old TV set.  The video signal I converted from the switch box to the VCR device through a Sima video stabilizer, to eliminate the image distortion caused by copy-protection systems. (I have a Fuji blank VHS tape, but I will not record any copyrighted material on it because that violates the DMCA. I may only record Wii content from my Wii U to the blank VHS tape in the future.)
~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I just bought the regular Voice Remote (RC691) from a local Walmart store tonight, and it works great with my old TV set.  However, it does increase/decrease my TV’s volume and turns the TV on/off when I press a button, but it did not seem to do that when I tested out the voice control for it, it just displays “[Increasing/Decreasing] volume” or “Power [on/off].”  The voice control does work with app shortcuts, though.  Shortly after I tested it, I found out the reason why, when I came across a Voice Remote Pro on Roku’s shop site:

*TV voice control requires CEC compatibility

And as far as I know, CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) is exclusive to HDMI connections only. ARC (Audio Return Channel) is also exclusive to HDMI connections only.

Overall, it’s a great remote. 
~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos