Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anio
Binge Watcher

Voice Remote Pro voice commands to control TV not working

My Roku Ultra 2022 with included Voice Remote Pro is brand new, just out of the box.  Voice commands to control TV power, mute, and volume does not work even though my TV has HDMI-CEC turned 'ON'.  The physical buttons to control TV all work.  I've repeated "Set up remote for TV control" in settings several times, but the problem remains.

Troubleshooting I've tried:

- Re-verified my TV HDMI-CEC is turned 'ON'

- Re-pairing remote to streaming device

- Tried every single remote code for my TV brand that was offered in settings, of which the last code prompts the pop-up message, "Unable to set up remote - We couldn't set up your Roku remote to work with you LG TV."  I should note that only LG Code 1 works to control my TV with the physical buttons, while none of the other LG codes would even do that.  Neither Code 1 nor all the rest of the LG codes works to control my TV using voice commands.

(update) Additional steps taken:

- Checked that remote is well charged

- Unplugged everything from TV and Roku Ultra, then power cycled both, then connected only the Roku Ultra to TV at a different HDMI port.

- Toggled the TV CEC off then on a couple times, leaving it 'ON.'

- Reset the Roku remote (button on the back), then re-paired remote to device and TV.

- Tried all 3 HDMI ports on TV

- Switched TV control from IR to CEC in Platform Secret Screen

Any assistance, shared customer experience or feedback would be much appreciated.

Device Info:

- Roku Voice Remote Pro; Model RC859; Firmware version rtn.4190

- Roku Ultra; Model 4802CA; Serial number X01000L5P322; Device ID S0R32275P322; Software version 11.5.0 build 4312-C2

- LG TV Model 32LK330; CEC enabled (SIMPLINK)

[EDIT:  For clarity; to add further troubleshooting steps taken]

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
davidjazz
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Voice Remote Pro TV controls using voice not working

I don't have an answer, but perhaps we can call in the Roku moderator to help:

@RokuDanny-R

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@anio-

Roku does not have an unlimited vocabulary.

This article lists the voice commands supported by Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
anio
Binge Watcher

@makaiguy

Thank you for the useful article link.

The voice commands I'm trying to use are TV power, mute, and volume.  When I say, "Power TV off," the Roku interface displays "Powering off..." but TV stays on.  With voice command "Mute," Roku displays the message, "Muting." but volume stays on.  Voice command "Increase volume" gets the Roku reply, "Increasing the volume" but there's no volume change.

0 Kudos
renojim

@anio, are you sure CEC is being used?  If you cover the remote completely does it still control the TV?  It could be using IR.  As I recall you have to jump through some hoops to get the Roku device to actually use CEC in conjunction with the Voice Remote.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
anio
Binge Watcher

Hi @renojim , the remote/device set is using only the IR to control TV which confuses me because this Roku Voice Remote Pro/Roku Ultra 2022 set is supposed to be already preset capable of both IR and CEC to control TV.  If there are special hoops to jump through to get the CEC to kick in, I'd like to try, but I don't know how.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

To prove its CEC over IR you would only need to unplug the hdmi cable from the Roku to the TV, if the tv controls still worked it's IR. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
anio
Binge Watcher

Hi @Tivoburkee , when I unplug the HDMI cable from the Roku to the TV, the TV controls still work.

When the HDMI cable from the Roku to the TV is connected, and I cover the remote as described by @renojim above, the TV controls do not work.

I've been scouring help pages, but I can't find any help to get the Roku system to send TV commands via CEC.

0 Kudos
anio
Binge Watcher

I've jumped through some 'hidden' hoops (apparently not allowed to post about here) and switched TV control from IR to CEC, but voice commands to TV still do not work.

Roku community, any thoughts/suggestions?

0 Kudos
anio
Binge Watcher

Additional troubleshooting I've tried:

- Checked that remote is well charged

- Unplugged everything from TV and Roku Ultra, then power cycled both, then connected only the Roku Ultra to TV at a different HDMI port.

- Toggled the TV CEC off then on a couple times, leaving it 'ON.'

- Reset the Roku remote (button on the back), then re-paired remote to device and TV.

- Tried all 3 HDMI ports on TV

Voice commands to control TV still do not work.

0 Kudos