Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SJMaye
Roku Guru

Voice Remote Pro compatibility question

Jump to solution

I bought a Voice Remote Pro for my Roku Ultra 4660X2.  It pairs fine, but it will not control TV sound.  I bought it bought it because it has a mute button my original Roku remote did not have. 

When I try to setup the remote it pairs fine.  When it goes to setup controlling the TV it finds I am using a Samsung TV.  It plays music.  I confirm I hear it.  Then when the music is supposed to be off I continue to hear it.  The routine then goes to codes for presumably other Samsung TVs trying to get a code that works.  After 8 or 10 I stopped trying.

Thinking it may be the remote I tried setting it up on a 4802 on the same TV.  It setup fine.  It appears to be a compatibility issue between the Voice Remote Pro and the 4660 even though the 4660 is listed to be compatible.

Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SJMaye
Roku Guru

Re: Voice Remote Pro compatibility question

Jump to solution

Hello renojim,

I am not sure I understand your reply.  When setting up the remote there are two steps; pairing, setting TV controls.  When attempting to setup the voice remote pro to my Roku Ultra 4660 the pairing goes fine, but when I go to setting TV controls it does not.  

The TV control setup first plays music and asks you to confirm you hear it.  That works fine. I click yes.  Next it asks, "Has the music stopped playing" which in my case the music could still be heard. , I click no.  It then repeats the process with TV code after TV code with the same results.  I continue to hear the music for all codes.  Which I guess it means the mute function does not work.

Update- I tried something different and it worked.  I noted for all other remotes the very first TV code it tried worked.  I tried setting up the Voice Remote Pro one more time.  This time when it asked, "Has the music stopped playing?" although I could still hear the music I answered NO anyway so it would accept that TV code.  It works.  Power, volume up/down, and mute.  Go figure.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I'm not entirely sure I follow, but once you have the remote working for the TV don't try to set up the TV controls again.  Pair it to the other Roku device and when you get to the part about setting it up for the TV just press Home on your Roku remote.  The remote should still be set up to control the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
SJMaye
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello renojim,

I am not sure I understand your reply.  When setting up the remote there are two steps; pairing, setting TV controls.  When attempting to setup the voice remote pro to my Roku Ultra 4660 the pairing goes fine, but when I go to setting TV controls it does not.  

The TV control setup first plays music and asks you to confirm you hear it.  That works fine. I click yes.  Next it asks, "Has the music stopped playing" which in my case the music could still be heard. , I click no.  It then repeats the process with TV code after TV code with the same results.  I continue to hear the music for all codes.  Which I guess it means the mute function does not work.

Update- I tried something different and it worked.  I noted for all other remotes the very first TV code it tried worked.  I tried setting up the Voice Remote Pro one more time.  This time when it asked, "Has the music stopped playing?" although I could still hear the music I answered NO anyway so it would accept that TV code.  It works.  Power, volume up/down, and mute.  Go figure.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Pairing the remote to the Roku device and setting it up to control the TV are two separate operations.

Do this:

@SJMaye wrote:

Thinking it may be the remote I tried setting it up on a 4802 on the same TV.  It setup fine.

Once you do that the remote is set up to control the TV.  Now pair it with the 4660 and skip the part where you set it up to control the TV.  If pressing Home doesn't get you out of it, disconnect the power.  You should see that the remote can still control the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
QuiGonJohn
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have a HiSense Roku TV.  Will a Roku Voice Remote Pro work with that? Will it provide all the functions that the original remote does? The TV is not too old, bought it last April.

0 Kudos