Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deet
Binge Watcher

Universal Remote for Roku Stick or Utra

I would love to find a remote that will work the streaming sticks, TV and sound bar/Surround system.  Is there anything out there for this and would love a backlit remote.   

Roku remotes are great but too small.   

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Universal Remote for Roku Stick or Utra

I’m not one of those people who work for Roku, only a user like you.  However, I have a couple of questions:

1. What brand(s)/model number(s) are your television set(s)? 
2. What are the model numbers and software versions of your Roku Ultra and Roku Stick?    
3. What brand(s)/model number(s) are your soundbars/surround systems?

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Deet
Binge Watcher

Hi Michelle

First I am not here to argue about batteries and sorry you misunderstood my email and with little knowledge on the equipment.  This said, I experienced the 5-10 day battery life due to the way I originally installed the Roku stick.  In 2019 Roku showed installation w/o using the power supply and/or not needed.  Plug directly into your TV....  WRONG for me as I found this out on older TVs.   I originally plug the stick into my TV USB w/o the power supply plugged into stick.  Worked great when TV was turned on etc however when TV was turned off, the power to the TV USB plug and stick were gone.  (Stick shuts down no electric power.)   Makes sense so far? 

So, after 1 month and a several packs of batteries I got hold of Roku service asking what is wrong as my remote was eating up my batteries.  (Remote was dead within 5-10 days NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF BATTERY USED....    

Why you ask?  The remote is Wifi and IR....  Once remote is paired to its stick it stays connected to it.  NOTE- As long as remote has a connection to a powered up stick it will go into sleep mode when not in use and will not continuedly search for the stick which in return saves remote batteries.  (AGAIN -Meaning stick needs to be powered up all the time to keep remote from going into search mode) NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF BATTERY IS USED.   ROKU HAD AN ISSUE

This was confirmed by Roku and since then you are told it is recommended that you use the power supply included in package.  Yes, newer TVS do have powered USB that stay on all the time but most of them are already smart TVS and no need for a Roku device. Note the above issue was a software/firmware problem in most sticks and using older TVS w/o powered USB ports. 

So hopefully the above is clear that I was talking about equipment and not batteries. So, there is my two-cent story for you all.  Have a great night. good luck and signing off.  

Michelle3
Roku Guru

@Deet 

Oh, I see your point now and it all makes sense.  

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

They don't make universal remotes that control Roku sticks anymore, Harmony has since stop releasing remotes, their Elite model would be able to control Roku sticks by IP, the internet. If you want Roku controlled be aftermarket universal remote it has to accept IR commands which NO Roku stick can. You mentioned Roku Ultra, that will accept IR from a universal remote. Look at the Inteset 422-3 on amazon:

Amazon.com: Inteset 4-in-1 Universal Backlit IR Learning Remote for use with Apple TV, Xbox One, Rok...

Or the Onn 6 universal remote at Walmart:

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Deet
Binge Watcher

Great news and thanks!

Michelle3
Roku Guru

@Deet  you still haven’t answered my questions yet.  Let me repeat:

1. What brand(s)/model number(s) are your television set(s)? 
2. What are the model numbers and software versions of your Roku Ultra and Roku Stick?    
3. What brand(s)/model number(s) are your soundbars/surround systems?

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Deet
Binge Watcher

Hi Jordan

Sorry on late response but too much equipment to list...  I am trying to cut our cable bill out and before I invest into another 4-5 Roku units I needed to decide if I can live with the stick or spend more for the Ultra which allows for IR remotes to work with it.  I also want larger remotes that have backlighted keypads. Which at this time, it looks like I need to go with the hockey pucks......

It's a shame that Roku has not woke up to this issue and offer a larger remote with more options etc.  I think it would be a hot selling item.

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

There are other Roku models that accept IR commands, the express, express 4k+, the Roku Streambar, Roku Ultra LT all accept IR commands. Some stores still have Roku Premiere available, my local Walgreens has it, which also accepts IR. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.