Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCLloyd
Binge Watcher

Re: UPDATE: Did your Roku remote lose volume and TV control after the latest update? Check here!

Jump to solution

Baxa, a Roku engineer worked with me, early last week, and rolled my Roku Ultra 2018 unit back to v9.4... It did not resolve my issue.  I was sent out a brand new Roku Ultra 2020, which arrived Friday.  It is on v10, and also did not resolve my issue.

I have a 10+ year old Sony A/V receiver and a 2018 Best Buy Insignia "dumb" TV.  Both Roku units know they are connected to either when I plug the Roku units into either one.  The setup routine starts the sound, but cannot mute the sound.  So, the setup fails.

I had just purchased one of the rechargeable "Pro" remotes, and was using it without incident, until Wednesday afternoon, May 19th. Ironically, it only goes through 4 or 5 devices before it gives up.  The original remotes for the two Roku units go through 2 or 3 dozen devices before it gives up.

It was too late on Friday afternoon to get a response from a Roku person.  So, I made a video of the unit failing and sent the engineer a private message with a link to the newer unit failing to add my devices.  I will have to wait until Tuesday before I can find out if the engineer can resolve this issue.  It seems to me that there is some sort of cloud database of possible devices that the infrared remote section can be programmed to, and it seems to have been damaged or "cleaned up".

So, far, I am back to my deprecated Logitech Harmony remote. to control the volume on my A/V items.  Logitech has decided to discontinue making their smart remotes...

Clairwil
Reel Rookie

Re: UPDATE: Did your Roku remote lose volume and TV control after the latest update? Check here!

Jump to solution

ROKU has truly left the customers in the dirt on this issue. I am also going to consider adding an Amazon Firestick on at least one device, as I am hearing of a potential block of YouTube. 

Thanks to a customer - no thanks to ROKU - I tried the "detach your sound system from TV and try again to catch a code to control volume." This "sort of worked". My original older remote controls volume. The new remote Roku device I purchased, which supposedly can mute volume, can now raise/lower volume. Mute does not work. 

The reason I continued to purchase multiple ROKU streaming devices was to be free to add whatever apps I wanted. I did not want to use an Amazon product because I did not want to be pushed to Amazon content. I did not want to use the pricey Apple TV streaming device because it locks out Pandora and also seems to be curating what I would be allowed to watch. 

ROKU - a device I believed and trusted would not hijack its customers over specific content. Wrong. Instead of steering us to "ROKU channels", ROKU has decided to become pirates, blocking users ability to add apps and stream at will. 

All we want to do is "cut the cable cord" and ROKU was a "friendly" in this, allowing customers to choose from the big "plus" channels such as Youtube Plus, Hulu Plus, Sling, etc. Now, we can potentially purchase a ROKU TV or multiple streaming devices...and then find out we can't stream the content we invested in ROKU to stream. This is not how a business grows. This is how a business loses goodwill. These customer threads have shown me that, unless ROKU turns their business model around, they will be lose in the device wars. They do not provide content, they provide hardware. 

Dear ROKU: do not be greedy. If you lock customers away from desired streams to squeeze revenue from YouTube and other content providers, your customers are going to abandon your hardware. Be fair and understand WHY we chose your devices: we want decent customer service for the HARDWARE and we expect to be able to access the apps that inspired us to leave cable in the first place. LISTEN to your customers - or risk losing our business.  

Tags (1)
Osugrad85
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I FIXED MINE!!!  I noticed that (in my case) the volume control issue was present when using my TV’s remote, as well as when using the Roku remotes.  So, I went into my smart TV’s settings (I have a Vizio V405-H9) and selected “Reset to Factory Settings.”  When the TV came back to life the volume control issue was gone.  My TV prompted me to wade through the setup process, but when I was done the volume control issue was still gone.  I’ve since powered my TV and the Roku off and on several times and the volume control issue is still gone.  Hopefully this is a permanent fix and I hope my experience helps others fix their issue.  I can only assume that at some point when Roku pushed out 10.0.0 and the subsequent “fix”(?) for this problem my TV’s internal programming for volume control was somehow corrupted.  I feel confident laying the blame for this issue on Roku since my TV and all of my remotes worked fine until the moment the Roku updated to 10.0.0.  

KWDean

Jump to solution

The update did not work

-Roku device model - 4670X - Roku Ultra
-serial number - YJ006D134091
-device ID - KW9986134091
-software OS/version -10.0.0 - BUILD 4198-46
-remote model - RC411
-TV brand and model number - Sony XBR-55X8500

20ArtSmart21
Channel Surfer

Re: Pairing existing remote to TV. Remote will now do NOTHING

Jump to solution

I tried it, it didn't work.  One of my three Roku devices works, and maybe that's because I moved it to another TV.  The other two kind of work, only with the Phone App remote,  It won't control the ON/OFF or volume.  I have to use the TV remote. Whatever software update Roku did a few weeks ago has made using Roku a more frustrating user experience.

Thanks for your suggestions on a fix.

sjw91
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I received the HDMI extension on Thursday, and my Roku stick has been working fine since then.  I don't know why that seems to have cured my problem.  I really didn't expect it to help.  There may have been an RFI issue with the stick plugged directly into the TV.  Everything worked fine for a year, but a couple weeks ago it started unpairing my remote every day.  I requested the free extension as a shot in the dark, but it seemed to work.

0 Kudos
Theasset

Jump to solution

Software Version 10.0.0

Build 4195 - C2

Roku Ultra

I can't go into the Roku to even choose my remote. It just gives me the option to pair one. 

Note that basic IR functions like navigation work fine, but the advanced features like voice control do not work, with the Error "Sorry, not able to receive audio from your remote", leading me to believe that the pairing hasn't actually worked.

X010001YE3KW (S02A209YE3KW)

Issue KW-217 355

hansencd

Jump to solution

I tried everything and even bought another remote, nothing seems to work. TV is Supersonic SC-2411 24" LED 1080p.I couldn't get an Issue ID as the process would not work.

Shall I return the new remote?

0 Kudos
Old-Bill
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@hansencd wrote:

I tried everything and even bought another remote, nothing seems to work. TV is Supersonic SC-2411 24" LED 1080p.I couldn't get an Issue ID as the process would not work.

@hansencd wrote:

Difinitely.

Tralfazz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sharp Roku TV LC-55LBU591U

Serial Number YN007X489629

Software version 10.0.0 - build 4195-38

Remote - Voice Remote Pro

Lost volume and mute capabilities upon installing the Voice Remote Pro.  Factory reset the TV and now have volume and mute on the original (Sharp Roku) remote, but not the Voice Remote Pro.