Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimShaw
Roku Guru

Two 3820R Streaming Stick Question

I'm possibly installing two 3820R 4K streaming sticks in my neighbor's home.  One in the bedroom which is next to the TV room.  TVs are about 20 feet apart with a wall between the two.

Will the Roku remote in one room be seen by the Roku stick in another room?  Or should I install a stick in one room and a Roku Express + in order to cancel any possible interference?

4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Two 3820R Streaming Stick Question

Roku sticks use Wi-Fi direct remotes that can only be paired with one Roku device at a time, so once you pair each remote to its corresponding stick they won't affect any other device.  That's one advantage of the Wi-Fi direct remotes.  Sometimes when you go through the pairing process it will want to pair with the wrong device, so you may have to disconnect the power from any device you don't want to be paired to the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
JimShaw
Roku Guru

@renojim wrote:

Roku sticks use Wi-Fi direct remotes that can only be paired with one Roku device at a time, so once you pair each remote to its corresponding stick they won't affect any other device.  That's one advantage of the Wi-Fi direct remotes.  Sometimes when you go through the pairing process it will want to pair with the wrong device, so you may have to disconnect the power from any device you don't want to be paired to the remote.

renojim

I thank you for the response.

I was hoping that would be the case but have never tried using two beside each other.

I'm considering the new (3820R) streaming sticks vs the (3941R) Express 4K+ because I have read (Roku's advertisement) the WiFi capturing is stronger with the new stick

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

To be honest, I'd go with the Express 4k+.  The stick comes with a "long range wireless receiver" that on the surface sounds like a good idea, but if you look through this forum you'll see all the people that have a broken one and no way to replace it since it's out of stock and the stick is useless without one.  The remote that comes with the Express 4k+ is also Wi-Fi direct, so can only be paired with one device at a time.  The Express also has the advantage that you can use any universal remote that supports Roku devices to control it.  With the stick, you're stuck with Roku's remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
JimShaw
Roku Guru

Done

I'll go ahead and install two Roku Express 4K+.  Thanks for the heads up!

The reason I had changed my mind from the Express to the stick is because Roku has a sale on the stick right now making it the same price as the Express 4K+ ($39.99)

0 Kudos