Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble pairing roku remote to Vizio smart tv

I can't pair remote to roku player or vizio smart tv 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Trouble pairing roku remote to Vizio smart tv

So the Roku you're pairing the remote to is the Streambar? What is model number of the remote, found in the battery  compartment? And does it have a pairing key in the battery compartment? 

You can't  program Streambar remote to control a tv volume, you can program for tv power only. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim

@Tivoburkee wrote:

You can't  program Streambar remote to control a tv volume, you can program for tv power only. 

I thought the remote controls the TV and the TV controls the Streambar volume via CEC?  At least that's how mine appears to work.  If I disconnect the Streambar the remote will still control the TV's volume.  Maybe if CEC isn't involved then the remote controls the Streambar volume directly?  Honestly, between these dual purpose remotes and CEC it confuses the heck out of me with how it all works.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Yes, the reason there is no way to set tv brand in the Streambar menu to control the tv volume is because it controls all tv brands by cec, ones that have cec feature and it is turned on. But it shouldn't still control the tv with Roku unplugged. The cec volume is either picked up by wifi or IR in case of the Onn Roku soundbar, by the Roku, its Roku that sends a signal over the hdmi cable to the control the tv. Without the Roku the cec can't reach the tv. The Streambar remote does have tv IR on board because it's the same remote sold with non-Streambar Roku's. So, it might have been programmed for your tv brand previously? 

Edmund

0 Kudos
renojim

@Tivoburkee wrote:

So, it might have been programmed for your tv brand previously? 

That's it!  I forgot about that. Smiley Embarassed

0 Kudos