Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV not connected to wifi, new remote. Remote doesn’t control setup screen on TV

I’m having an issue with me roku tv. It’s a hisense TV with roku I bought it brand new now issue. 

my roommates dog got a hold of the remote and tore it to shreds before I could connect it to wifi. So I ordered another remote and now I’m stuck on the setup screen for the tv. I know the remote is working because I can toggle audio guide by pressing the OK button a bunch of times. However I can’t continue through the setup menu for the tv. 

anyone have issues with this before? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV not connected to wifi, new remote. Remote doesn’t control setup screen on TV

What remote did you get?  A simple remote (i.e., one without a pairing button) for a Roku device won't work on a Roku TV (although it also doesn't have any power button) and a remote for another brand of Roku TV won't necessarily work on a Hisense TV.  Does this new remote have a pairing button in the battery compartment?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Spartan117
Streaming Star

Re: TV not connected to wifi, new remote. Remote doesn’t control setup screen on TV

@AndrewGarmon  This is the remote you need. 

Angrox Remote Control Applicable for TCL Roku TV Remote,Universal for Hisense/ONN/Sharp Roku Smart LED TVs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GS1S9XY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DEXENFK0S8J5H0TM4GCE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Remotes that come with Roku TVs are supplied by the TV manufacturers, not Roku.

Remotes supplied with Roku TVs connect by infrared (IR) and are relatively inexpensive.  (Remotes for Roku DEVICES use a different IR command set than Roku TVs, so IR remotes for Roku devices won't control Roku TVs.) Roku TV remotes "just work" without being paired to the Roku TV.  You may be able to find them locally at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc, or of course at online sources like Amazon and eBay, but not from Roku.  Roku TV remotes from any Roku TV manufacturer or from third party suppliers largely use the same standard set of IR commands and are interchangeable for use on Roku TVs from other manufacturers*. 

• * NOTE: Roku TV remotes from HiSense and Sharp can only be used with HiSense and Sharp Roku TVs because they issue a different set of IR commands than the rest of the Roku TV manufacturers.  The Roku TVs from HiSense and Sharp themselves, though, support both sets of IR commands so they can be used with remotes from any Roku TV manufacturer. 

Thanks to @Tivoburkee for the above info.

In addition, All Roku TVs will support any of the Roku "Voice Remotes". You may be able to find these locally at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc, or of course at online sources like Amazon, eBay, and from Roku itself. These are point-anywhere remotes that connect to the TV via WiFi-direct, and must be paired to the TV you wish to control to enable them to communicate.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X