Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leif
Reel Rookie

TCL Roku TV remote volume up & down and play-pause buttons not working properly

Roku TV volume stuck on 0 but I think it's the remote, not the TV.

Issue details:

1. When pressing the volume up or down buttons, the volume indicator pops up at the top right of the screen, but the volume changes to 1, and then instantly changes back to 0. The mute button works properly.

2. When pressing the play/pause button, it activates the voice feature. The voice button also activates the voice feature.

All other remote buttons seem to be working properly. When it was brand new, all buttons on the remote worked properly for a while, but we set up an external AV unit for sound using HDMI ARC. So for a long time we used a different remote for sound and always pressed the physical button on the TV to power on and off. We barely ever touched the Roku remote, but we need to use it now and these buttons don't work properly.

I have taken the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Verified these issues with no devices plugged into any TV inputs. I unplugged all external devices and set audio to TV speakers.

2. Restarted the TV.

3. Replaced the batteries in the remote.

4. Tried to factory reset the TV but I'm unable, because it requires that you press the play/pause button three times, but that button just activates the voice feature.

5. Followed basic instructions on various forums and YouTube videos about this type of issue, like removing batteries, blowing out and pressing buttons to clean them, verifying no other IR devices nearby, etc.

TV info:

Roku TV: 7121

TCL model: 65R61

Serial number: YS0092817738

Software version: 11.0.0 - build 4193-30

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TCL TV remote volume up & down and play-pause buttons not working properly

Sorry but you have to get in touch with Tv manufacturer, Roku only supplies UI for Roku TVs. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Leif
Reel Rookie

@Tivoburkee How is this not a Roku TV?

0 Kudos
Leif
Reel Rookie

@Tivoburkee I just realized what you meant by your reply. I know they don't manufacture the physical TVs, but instead it's the Roku OS installed on the TV as firmware.

I posted here because I've seen many posts from others with almost identical issues, where a Roku representative responds to help either troubleshoot the remote or offer to replace it. That's what I was hoping for.

0 Kudos