Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daknecht
Channel Surfer

Switching to cable TV and back with remote

I have a Roku 4 and may need a new device soon (not supported anymore).  One of the things that constantly frustrates me is the inability to switch back to cable TV with the remote.  From cable to roku, I just hit one of the channel or home buttons, but I have found no way to go back to cable without changing the input on the cable remote controller (4 button pushes to cycle through the inputs).  Do any of the newer devices allow easy switching in both directions?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Switching to cable TV and back with remote

No.  If you set up your TV to always power on to the cable box you should be able to press a button on the Roku remote to get it to switch inputs to the Roku's and then a quick off and on of the TV will get it to switch back to the cable box.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
daknecht
Channel Surfer

What button on the Roku remote will do this?  Dave

0 Kudos
renojim

Do what?  Switch the TV's input to the Roku or switch the TV's input to the cable box?  You already said that pushing a button on the Roku remote switches the input to the Roku.  You'd have to turn the TV off and back on to switch it to the cable box assuming the TV powers up to the cable box's input.  You can use the power button on your Roku remote (if it has one and is set up to control the TV) or the power button on the TV's remote or cable box remote (again, if it has one).  It really doesn't make sense to use the Roku remote to switch back to the cable box unless you only ever watch one channel.  You'd need another remote to change cable channels anyway.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

The selection of the TV's input is a TV function.

The Roku has a CEC function (Roku name "1 touch control") which permits a CEC-equipped TV to switch to the Roku's input when a Roku key is pressed. 

If the cable system fails to provide a similar function, that is hardly a shortcoming of the Roku.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
jennjenn

Two alternatives... 

The easiest (and free) alternative is using a a cable company's Roku app, such as Spectrum.  That would be the simplest way if the cable company has an app on Roku. Apps on Roku may also be available for local stations and the cable company's premium channels. 

Anothet alternative is the Sideclick, a slim gadget that attaches to the Roku remote. It can be programmed for basic cable functions. It is slimmer and smaller than the typical larger cable remotes and can be used unattched, which may be preferred for smaller hands or if the clip keeps breaking off.

The link below is the Sideclick for Roku (they also have Sideclicks for Apple, Chromecast, etc.). Be mindful that Sideclicks and clips may be meant for certain versions of remotes. 

https://www.sideclickremotes.com/collections/roku-streaming-accessories

0 Kudos