Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Streaming stick won't pair with remote

Jump to solution

I had this same problem. Bought two Streamstick + and the first paired with no issue. The second one would not pair with it's remote. Contacted ROKU support after exhausting online solutions. Spent 1 hour with support and the answer was "we will send you a new remote but they are backordered so not sure when you will get it." I continued to look online and found this on resetting the streaming stick. This was a different procedure than anything else I had seen about resetting the stick and it worked. 1. Remove all cables except the power cord (disconnect from the TV). 2. Press AND HOLD the reset button on the Stick for about 20 seconds- more is OK. 3. While holding the reset button, disconnect the power from the Stick. 4. Release the reset button 5. Go through the initial set up as described in the Quick Set up Guide that came with the Stick - plug into HDMI port, plug into power, turn the TV on, select input and add batteries to the remote. For me it then paired automatically. 

6of9

Jump to solution

My Roku streaming stick is dead after 2 months.  Well, not dead, just unusable.  The problem is that the remote will not connect to it, it's an enhanced remote with a Streaming Stick +.  

First design flaw of this supposed "travel streaming device" (Streaming Stick) is that it does not automatically connect to a network you have already connected to in the past.  So, when you use it in a new location (like, at work, for example), you need the physical remote to navigate and connect to wi-fi manually before it will do anything.  So, the idea of using your phone as a remote?  Well, no, you still have to carry in your bag the actual physical remote with you wherever you go, because for the Roku App to work, you have to both be on the same wifi, and if your Streaming Stick does not automatically connect (as does, for example, an Apple TV), then you are out of luck trying to use your app as a remote!

But now, after two months, my physical remote won't pair with the Streaming Stick.  And I can't navigate to connect to the wifi without it, which means that my Roku App can't see the Streaming Stick and so I can't use it.  So now I have this nice streaming device that I cannot use.  I can stare at the Home Menu all day long, and it will even go into screen-saver mode for me for a nice change of scenery, but that's pretty much all I can do with my Roku Streaming Stick +.

Bloody **bleep**.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@6of9

Thanks for the post.

What Roku model device are you using?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sherryv02

Jump to solution

After a reset of the stick 3810x, I am stuck on the “pair your remote screen”

I have gone through all the steps of unplugging and removing the batteries and then plugging it back in and holding the reset button down for over 30 seconds etc. and holding the pairing button down but no matter what I’m in the same situation it comes to the same screen and remote is just flashing the pairing until it finally stopped and still not paired. I have followed many different articles on here and answers on the community and nothing is working I’m stuck in a loop I worked on this for six hours now please help

0 Kudos
LindaG99

Jump to solution

I am having the same exact problem. Soooo frustrating. One in my bedroom pairs with either remotes but not the one in my living room. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Sherryv02 @LindaG99

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend trying to re-pair your remote through the following process:

1. If your remote uses standard batteries, open the battery compartment and remove the batteries.
  2. Remove the power cable from your Roku device, wait 5 seconds and then re-connect the power cable.
  3. Wait until your Roku device displays the home screen.
  4. Restart your remote.
  5. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds until you see the status light begin to flash. If the light does not flash, try again. If the light still does not flash, charge your remote or replace the batteries.
  6. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your Roku device.
  7. The remote pairing dialog should appear on your TV screen.

For more information about troubleshooting steps please visit by our Support page here: How do I resolve issues with my Roku® voice remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GolferBev

Jump to solution

Neither ROKU remote nor REMOTE APP recognize my streaming stick MODEL 3810R, sn 215032948834. Checked batteries and connections. Stopped working abruptly. 

pls help. This is the second Roku that has had problems and it is less than 2 yrs old.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@GolferBev

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried re-pairing your remote to your Roku device?

For more information about how to pair your remote to your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kech

Jump to solution

My remote will not pair with streaming stick.  I bought a new one and that will not pair either.  I have used this on my Samsung since May 2021.  I can only use the remote on my phone.  

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This piece of garbage device only pairs when it feels like it.  EVERY TIME it gets unplugged it requires a re-pairing, and only pairs when it is in the mood.

Following these instructions doesn't bleeping work.  Please stop giving them.

My old Roku works just fine, but I buy a new model and it's trash.  Wtf Roku?

GARBAGE.

0 Kudos