Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AZBruno
Channel Surfer

Streaming Stick 4K: pros and cons of powering by USB vs outlet

Jump to solution

I've been running with the device plugged into an outlet, but since I only use it for maybe a couple hours at night I'm thinking about using the TV's powered USB port. There are two USB ports... 5V 0.5A and 5V 1A.

Since the USB port is not powered when the TV is off, that will drop power to the Roku when I turn the TV off. So when the TV is turned on, the Roku needs to restart, and then reconnect to the router. Just wondering what others may have experienced and general feelings.

Although I tend not to use the Roku much during the day, I am more often using the TV. Is there a disadvantage to turning the device on and off multiple times a day? Will it shorten its life? Is there any danger to suddenly dropping power on the Roku, especially when not being certain of its state (e.g. turning the TV off very shortly after turning it on)?

Are there heating issues or longevity issues with having it on 24/7?

Is there advantage or disadvantage to constantly restarting the device?

Any wireless issues I should be aware of?

Will the 0.5A port be enough for the device? I've run it through the 1A port fine.

It would be so much easier if there was a way to simply turn the device off.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Streaming Stick 4K: pros and cons of powering by USB vs outlet

Jump to solution

@AZBruno 

Thanks for the inquiry.

In general, we always recommend powering a Roku device through a wall outlet as we've found that the TV USB port sometimes may not be able to provide adequate power to your Roku device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@AZBruno 

Thanks for the inquiry.

In general, we always recommend powering a Roku device through a wall outlet as we've found that the TV USB port sometimes may not be able to provide adequate power to your Roku device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AZBruno
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response, Danny. I already knew that you recommend using outlet power, but the Roku support site specifically says that it can be plugged into a TV's USB port.

The purpose of my post was to get a better understanding of the various pros and cons to doing so (obviously assuming the USB port can power the Roku).

Since originally posting, I did find an article about Amazon Fire Stick recommending not using the USB specifically because of updates which could be happening when power drops and this could brick the device. Is this a concern for Roku too? What would happen if outlet power dropped in the middle of an update?

0 Kudos
AJ345

Jump to solution

I am doing the same thing and have the same questions.  Can you please answer them?

0 Kudos