Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rosnan8822
Reel Rookie

Re: Simple remote not working

Pointing it at the camera on my phone is just more proof it doesn't work. It's defective, brand new fresh out of the box.

0 Kudos
Rosnan8822
Reel Rookie

Serial number on my brand new simple remote that doesn't work    RC16F-T13

0 Kudos

@RokuDanny-R 

hello, i have an element tv and it came with roku remote.. yesterday all of the sudden stop working.. i tried new batteries but it doesn’t work.. i’m pointed at the tv and the remote is not working at all. please help me!!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@claumarq2908, remotes for Roku TVs come from the manufacturer of the TV (which isn't Roku).  It's probably an IR remote which you can test by using a digital camera like the one in your phone.  Point the remote at the camera and press a button on the remote and you should see a flash of light on the camera screen.  If there's no flash then the remote isn't working.  You can either get a universal remote that supports Roku TVs, get a Roku Voice remote that should pair with your TV, or contact Element for a replacement remote.

Where can I get support for my Roku TV™? | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
loloswain

I have a simple remote; I have disconnected box and removed and reinstalled batteries and still nothing. Please help,  

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @loloswain,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community! 

To resolve issues with your simple remote, start by looking for visible obstructions. Your Roku device might in a location where the remote signal is partially or fully blocked. Here are a few tips to ensure a clear path from your remote to your device:

• Always be sure you can see the front of your Roku device.
  • Test your remote from various positions.
  • Do not hide your Roku player.

If those things aren't helping, please reply here with the serial number of your Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
alm_mbo
Reel Rookie

Like others posting here, I have a newly purchased Roku Express with a simple remote that stopped working during the setup process.  I have checked line of sight, replaced batteries, checked to see if the remote is generating an infared signal (by pointing at digital camera) and any other suggestions that I can find online.  I have installed the Roku app which does work to control the Roku.

This is the second Roku Express I have purchased where the remote immediately died (I returned the first one, this is now the second).  Question for me is how to I get a replacement that is likely to work?  SN for the Roku is: S008522XJFHU.  SKU is 3930R.  Also has a bar code that says 8 29610 00325 2.

I look forward to a reply.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@alm_mbo  If you own a smartphone and your Roku device is connected to the same network as that, you could download the Roku app on it.  However, even without WiFi connection, the app will add confusion, doing no good at all.  So technically, you’d still need a replacement physical remote from either an online or local store.  I’d recommend either the RC-S01 Voice Remote Pro or the RC-AL7 regular Voice Remote; whichever one you like.  You can find either of those two either from Walmart or direct from the Roku Store online.  I’ve bought the latter remote model from a local Walmart store two weeks ago, to replace the original remote with, for my Roku Express+ 3910 only because I wanted voice functionality on the device.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
alm_mbo
Reel Rookie

Hi Michelle3.  Thanks for the quick response, but this is a brand new, just out of the box remote that failed.  Seems to me there must be a Roku process for replacing defective parts other than my having to spend more money on a replacement or an upgrade.  I'd normally return the product, but I just did that once and the replacement was also defective.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You can check the policy at:

Step-by-step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

but basically if you didn't purchase it from Roku you'll have to return it to where you got it.  There do seem to be a rash of reports of remotes that fail almost immediately, but I've had countless Roku remotes and never had that problem.  I'd try one more time.  One bad remote is unusual, two is (almost) unheard of, but 3?  Inconceivable.  🙂

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.