Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Measnera

Simple remote not working

My simple remote quit working - I’ve tried changing batteries, following steps of disconnecting my device and removing the batteries before reconnecting and replacing batteries. My remote does not have a reset button on it anywhere. And there is nothing I can find for contacting a Roku for assistance - just following the not so helpful tips on things to try. 
many suggestions on getting the remote to connect again? 

0 Kudos
32 REPLIES 32
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Simple remote not working

@Measnera 

The Simple Remote doesn't pair to a device. It is truly a simple remote. It is simply an infrared remote, nothing more. You put batteries in it, pick it up, and press the buttons. That's it.

Those instructions you're trying to follow are for the Voice Remotes. Those have power and volume controls.

You said you changed the batteries. Keep in mind that, while unlikely, it's possible for batteries to be bad when you put them in. It's probably more likely that the remote has gone bad, but you really should use another set of batteries from another package, just to rule it out.

A Roku Simple Remote is $15. You can fine cheap universal remotes that will work at Walmart, Family Dollar, CVS, Walgreens, and other retailers. Just make sure it says on the packaging that it works with Roku.

Oh, and you can download the Roku app to you phone and use that. It has remote capabilities.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Quick test to see if the simple IR remote is working:

Point the remote at a digital camera, the one in a phone or tablet will do, and press buttons on the remote.  If the remote is sending IR signals, it should show as flashes on the camera's view screen.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Measnera

Thanks for the post.

Please reply here the serial number of your Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. I'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
loonymike
Reel Rookie

Afternoon, I have a roku express 4+, yesterday it just stopped working, all I get now in a bouncing roku icon. tried using my phone same problem it is not recognize the express 4+ streaming player(sn--507p515k2jdk model 3941x. email address is [personal information]. thanks mike   p.s. I tried everything I was instructed to do

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@loonymike 

Yours should actually be a separate issue. Your device doesn't come with a Simple Remote. The Roku Express 4K+ comes with the Voice Remote. A solution to OP's remote issue won't apply to you.

It would probably be helpful overall if you opened a separate thread and posted your issue there.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
LisaT1992

@RokuKariza-D can you help me? I'm having the exact same problem! Simple remote - nothing happens when I point it to the Roku Express+ stick. I bought the system in 2018. The Roku app remote isn't working either. 

serial number:  YG001W004601

thanks!

0 Kudos
Mbbuckalew
Reel Rookie

Literally just hooked up my Roku and can not get the simple remote to do anything, ive tried all the trouble shooting. Ready to return since this seems like a hunk of junk. 

express4k+
sn: SO7p221umjm5

model 3941x

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

A simple Roku remote is an IR only remote, nothing to pair it just works with Roku's that accept IR remotes. It has no tv controls, only Wi-Fi Voice remotes have tv controls. If you really have only a Simple Roku remote, to see if its working point it at a cellphone camera and press a key. If you see flashes, then it's working. A Wi-fi remote has to be paired to given Roku before it will control it. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Mbbuckalew wrote:

Literally just hooked up my Roku and can not get the simple remote to do anything, ive tried all the trouble shooting. Ready to return since this seems like a hunk of junk. 

express4k+
sn: SO7p221umjm5

model 3941x

That device does not come with the Simple Remote. So, there's some confusion over what's going on. Why aren't you using the Voice Remote that came with the Express 4K+ model 3941? What happened for you to change to the Simple Remote?

DBDukes