Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CindyLou2
Reel Rookie

Setting up old SE from 2015 - Remote not working

I'm setting up an old SE from 2015 I stopped using about six months ago with a different television. I have reached the Roku screen, but the remote doesn't work. I tried putting in new batteries and downloading the app, which says it can't find the device.

What else can I try?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Setting up old SE from 2015 - Remote not working

@CindyLou2 

The app will not -- can not -- work until the device is connected to the network. You need to use a remote to connect the Roku device to your network.

The Roku SE, if it is from 2015, is likely a Roku 1 model 2710 under a different name (usually a Black Friday special or something similar). Use your smart phone camera to look at the end of the remote, then press some buttons. If you see a light in the camera, then the IR remote is working. If you don't see a light, then the remote isn't working.

Your options would then be to get another remote. The Roku Simple Remote is $15 and can be found at Walmart, Best Buy, etc. You may find a $10 or under universal remote at Family Dollar, Walmart, etc., as long as the packaging says it supports Roku.

Or get a new Roku. You may be shocked how much more responsive today's devices are, especially compared to a Roku 1 (aka Roku SE).

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

CindyLou2
Reel Rookie

Re: Setting up old SE from 2015 - Remote not working

Thank you for your response! I went ahead and got a new Roku, and I am setting it up.

0 Kudos