Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LJGosselin
Channel Surfer

Roku remote is not working so how do I setup the device? Also IPhone can’t find the device

I really need some help please. I purchased a Roku 4K stick. The Roku setup screen is on my TV however the remote does not work so I have no way of accepting the wifi setting, or language or anything else!

I tried my iPhone as a remote however it will not recognize the device and I cannot get the VPN to stay off.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Boz
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remote is not working so how do I setup the device? Also IPhone can’t find the device

Can you double check to make 100% sure the batteries are installed correctly in the remote?

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote is not working so how do I setup the device? Also IPhone can’t find the device

@LJGosselin-

As you've found, the app on your phone can only "see" Rokus that are already connected to your local network.  That means you can't use the app on your phone to set up a Roku's network connection.

The first step in setting your Streaming Stick up should be to "pair" your remote to the Stick.  Until that occurs you won't be able to interact with the Roku to accomplish anything.

Video from Roku re how to pair point-anywhere remote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3T6eXqPU8

You may find your Roku is only receptive to the pairing request from the remote for a short period of time after it starts up. Try pulling the power to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and waiting for it to start up before reinserting the batteries in the remote and pressing the pairing button.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
LJGosselin
Channel Surfer

I have replaced the batteries 3 times, all are inserted correctly. The remote pairs however the little red light that usually flickers when using a remote does not come on. I have hit every button on the remote and nothing is working. Very frustrating with a brand new product.

0 Kudos
LJGosselin
Channel Surfer

The remote is paired. But nothing works. The infrared light does not come on.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Roku wifi remotes, the only kind of Roku remote a Roku stick uses doesn't  have infrared. If it doesn't  control  the stick at all what makes you think it's paired? The remote doesn't communicate with Stick directly, it actually communicates with long- range wireless receiver, the bump in the usb cable. Are you still using the original USB cable?

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
LJGosselin
Channel Surfer

It said it had paired. I spoke to a rep and there are replacing the brand new unit. I have nev ear ever been able to watch anything. I am happy it is being replaced.

0 Kudos
LJGosselin
Channel Surfer

Yes I have to use the original cable as it iOS the only one supplied. Unfortunately the wireless receiver still sits behind the tv as the cord is too short to put it on top of the tv or even beside it.

0 Kudos