Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BOILERMAKER1972
Reel Rookie

Roku remote compatibility list

Is there a list of replacement or type of remote that will work with my older Roky player? I have an old remote label inside the battery cover of RC120 T1 09 and it is not working with any of remotes. It looks like it has an IR window and it has no shortcut keys to Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc

My daughter has several older Roku players and her dog ate the remotes and I am trying to replace them for her.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote compatibility list

Which type of remote you need depends on which type of Roku you have.

Except for Roku Streaming Stick models, all other Roku devices respond to the same set of infrared (IR) commands so any IR Roku remote, or a universal remote that contains the Roku code set should work.  The IR remote from Roku is called the Simple Remote and can be purchased from Roku and other retailers.  Third party clones are also available from many stores. Be sure the remote is for Roku DEVICES, as Roku TVs (with built in Roku functionality) use a different set of IR commands.

roku_stick.gifRoku Streaming Stick models, with minor variations, look essentially like this, with a male HDMI plug at the end that can be plugged directly into an HDMI socket on the TV.  Non-Streaming Stick models have a female HDMI jack that requires an HDMI cable to connect it to the TV.   Streaming Stick models are typically used behind the TV where IR signals can't reach, so they do not contain IR detectors.  They can ONLY be controlled by wifi remotes from Roku.  The current wifi remotes are the Voice Remote ($20) and the Voice Remote Pro with an earphone jack for private listening and a rechargeable battery ($30).  You can find them at many retailers and from Roku itself.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
BOILERMAKER1972
Reel Rookie

Thank you. I guess I bought a ROKU controller that is for the embedded ROKU in a TV and that is why it did not work. So now I got it straight and clear. Thanks again

Steve

atc98092

@BOILERMAKER1972 wrote:

Thank you. I guess I bought a ROKU controller that is for the embedded ROKU in a TV and that is why it did not work. So now I got it straight and clear. Thanks again

The Roku model that is embedded within the TV is an MHL Stick. Yes, it does not work with an IR remote, and unfortunately it doesn't work with the WiFi remotes that @makaiguy mentioned. That old of a Roku is no longer supported, and replacement remotes are not available for them. 

Is there any way you can identify the model Roku you have? That's really the only way to know for certain if a replacement remote is available. You might be able to find the model number printed or embossed on the case somewhere. I realize that without a remote you can't get into the settings menu.

If the Roku is still connected to your home WiFi network, you could use the Roku app on a phone or tablet to control it, but if you ever lose the network connection there's no way to get it back online without an actual remote. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Strega
Roku Guru

For what it’s worth, I read “embedded ROKU in a TV” as “a Roku TV”.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Strega wrote:

For what it’s worth, I read “embedded ROKU in a TV” as “a Roku TV”.

I considered that. But since he mentioned the Roku was older, that seems to point to one of the MHL sets. But after reading his post again, he might be referring to a remote that he had picked up somewhere that might not be compatible. That's why it's really important to know the exact model number of the Roku device. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
BOILERMAKER1972
Reel Rookie

One other question. On some of the instructions on adding a controller to a ROKU device, the remote has a pairing button inside the battery compartment. The old one I found does not. How do I add a controller if there is no button on the new controller?

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@BOILERMAKER1972 

Remotes that control via infrared (IR) are not paired, and they have no pairing buttons.  They work with ANY Roku that contains an IR receptor, i.e. anything OTHER than a Streaming Stick model, as explained previously.  Again, that's why it is important to report what model Roku you are trying to work with.  

Roku TVs and Roku devices use different IR command sets so, again, IR remotes for Roku devices cannot control Roku TVs, and vice versa.

Roku Voice Remotes control via wifi and must be paired with the specific Roku (device or TV) they are to control.  Most have pairing buttons in the battery compartment. 

Some recent Roku Voice Remotes do not have a pairing button in the battery compartment. The first such remote is model RC-GZ1. This comes with installed batteries and a pull tab you must remove to engage them.  To put these remotes into pairing mode, after pulling the battery tab, press and hold both the BACK and HOME buttons near the top of the remote for 5 seconds or more.
a.jpg
Reference: https://support.roku.com/article/360011621473

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos