Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fula94

Roku device won't connect to wifi, have a dif Roku remote but the remote only works for Vizio TV

Jump to solution

I discovered this problem back in November but revisited it today. I boxed everything up in April and then finally opened it up back in November. I set up my Roku Express on a VIZIO TV. I lost the original remote and it wasn't able to connect to wifi so I know I needed a physical remote. Luckily, there is another Roku device in the house with another simple remote, not exactly the same as mine but still it lacks the connector buttons so I know it's still simple. Well I tried to use it on my Roku Express and the device doesn't respond to it at all. I've plugged it in and unplugged it (and removed the batteries on the remote), cleared any possible obstructed view. I see white blinking lights on the device but nothing happens on screen and then it goes into sleeping mode. The weird thing is the Roku device will control stuff on the VIZIO TV like if I press "home" instead of the Roku responding the VIZIO bottom scroll will open, << the rewind button opens up the settings menu and OK/UP will change input between TV and COMP (but not cable box or HDMI 2; I had my FIOS cable plugged into HDMI 2 and Roku plugged into cable box but still had the same issue; I switched them just in case). I don't know what the possible solution to this could be beyond ordering another remote which makes me wonder if I will run into the same issue? Or maybe I should move the Roku device and connect to wifi from a different TV (non Vizio model)?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku device won't connect to wifi, have a dif Roku remote but the remote only works for Vizio TV

Jump to solution

@Strega @fula94 

Yes, while the Roku set top boxes all use the same IR codes, the TVs, being manufactured by companies that aren't Roku, use a different set of codes. More than one set in fact. My understanding is that there are at least two different Roku TV code sets in use (I actually thought more, but that appears to not be the case), and neither Roku TV code set works with standard Roku devices.

A cheap universal remote from Dollar General, Family Dollar, Walgreens, Walmart, Best Buy, etc, will work on any non-Roku TV (different code set) and Roku non-Stick (sticks don't use IR code sets).

The Roku Voice Remotes ($20) work on all modern Roku devices.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: Roku device won't connect to wifi, have a dif Roku remote but the remote only works for Vizio TV

Jump to solution

Yep, the TV remotes don't work on the consoles and the console remotes don't work on the TVs.  Since you don't have a stick most universal remotes these days will control Roku devices.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
fula94

Jump to solution

The remote says SHARP * Roku TV at the bottom if that changes anything

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yeah, I believe Roku TV remotes use entirely different codes than Roku device remotes.  @Tivoburkee will know for sure.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Strega @fula94 

Yes, while the Roku set top boxes all use the same IR codes, the TVs, being manufactured by companies that aren't Roku, use a different set of codes. More than one set in fact. My understanding is that there are at least two different Roku TV code sets in use (I actually thought more, but that appears to not be the case), and neither Roku TV code set works with standard Roku devices.

A cheap universal remote from Dollar General, Family Dollar, Walgreens, Walmart, Best Buy, etc, will work on any non-Roku TV (different code set) and Roku non-Stick (sticks don't use IR code sets).

The Roku Voice Remotes ($20) work on all modern Roku devices.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Yep, the TV remotes don't work on the consoles and the console remotes don't work on the TVs.  Since you don't have a stick most universal remotes these days will control Roku devices.

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

It was just a coincidence that your Sharp roku tv remote controlled your Vizio tv, if it were tcl roku tv remote it wouldn't have. Hisense/Sharp roku tv's use Goldstar/LG/Vizio code set. Where TCL and ALL the rest of the Roku tv brands use Admiral/Dynex/Sansui code set. Actually Hisense & Sharp respond to both code sets used by Roku tv's. As other said none of these codes control your Roku Express. 

Edmund